(Closed) 3 weeks until wedding- china is on Back Order

posted 8 years ago in Gifts and Registries
  • poll: What should I do
    Keep the Mikasa Parchment- even though it's on backorder and probably won't get purchased : (5 votes)
    100 %
    Change to a different pattern I like but costs a lot more and matches my placemats and stemware : (0 votes)
    change to my #2 pick (Lenox Chirp) even though it doesn't match perfetly : (0 votes)
    change to a different pattern that I don't like AS much, but cost is comparable. : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    681 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2018

I would leave it on there if it’s what you actually want. People that want to buy china and are sending a gift, as opposed to bringing something to the wedding, may still purchase it. It’s available at Macy’s right now but I don’t know if your current registry information is already out among your guests.

Lenox Chirp is a very pretty back-up so I don’t think that’s a bad option. A new set of placemats would be easy to come by.

Post # 4
    2208 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2010

My FI’s aunts actually just purchased my whole set of crystal stemware (!!!), even though half of it was on back order. I got an email saying I won’t receive it until September.

I think people who like to buy traditional gifts will realize that it isn’t a big deal to just order now, and have it sent later. I am a china person, I would have no problem doing this. Having a gift on hand is only important if you are going to a shower.

So, although I registered for Chirp, I think you should stick to what you have. See if you can add a note at the top of the registry letting your guests know that you are aware of the wait.

Post # 6
    681 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2018

Yuck! I love waiting nearly 4 months for dishes…

If the more expensive pattern that you like is outside of what you think people will spend then I don’t know if it’s worth registering for. As a guest, I would be way more likely to buy something on back order than something outside my price range.

Chirp is lovely but taste specific so only you know if you can see yourself enjoying it for a long time.

I wouldn’t settle for a cost comparable pattern that you don’t love.

I still say either go with Chirp, or stick to your current choice and deal with it being on backorder, even if it means some people don’t purchase it.

ETA: Macy’s is showing the individual 5-piece placesettings of Mikasa Parchment as in stock and ready to ship in 3 days. Maybe I am missing something!

Post # 9
    6661 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2010

A ton of our registry items were backordered right before people started thinking about buying us a wedding present. We just kept it all on there, and what some people did was go to the actual store and buy the items that were available at the actual store but backordered online.

I don’t know if that can happen with your china. But hopefully, people who wanted to buy you china will get creative and give you $ to buy the china when it’s available.

The topic ‘3 weeks until wedding- china is on Back Order’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors