30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before he proposed? (Poll)

posted 3 years ago in 30 Something
  • poll: 30+ Bees: how long did you date your SO before you got engaged?
    less than 1 year...why wait! : (140 votes)
    20 %
    1-2 years : (187 votes)
    27 %
    2-3 years : (117 votes)
    17 %
    3+ years : (254 votes)
    36 %
  • Post # 2
    128 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I think it was about 1 year and 9 months, we had talked about it quite a bit before hand. I told him that I didn’t need to get married right away, but I needed to know we were on track, I was 30 when we started dating, 31 when we got engaged.  He was worried about wanting to finish his residency first and have a better income, but I think things don’t have to be perfect financially to get married, especially if you know that your futre is secure.

Post # 3
    1566 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

CapitolBee:  We dated for 11 months before we got engaged, and we started dating immediately after we met. We’ll be married at the beginning of May, after we’ll have known each other for 20 months.

Post # 4
    19 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: Isaiah Tubbs Resort

About 8 months. We had known each other for 5 years though. We will have been engaged for 3 years when we get married.

Post # 5
    760 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2014 - Gold Hill Gardens

We’d been talking about marriage since we met. Neither of us is or was interested in just dating someone without the possibility of a long term relationship. We’ve been inseparable since the night we met, and probably would have gotten engaged faster than 2.5 years in, but his brother and (now) wife, went with a long engagement and my mom went through a rapid decline in health and then a lung transplant, so no one in my family was up for trying to plan a wedding. 

Post # 6
    299 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

14 months. We’d been living together for 6 months at that point.

Post # 7
    1057 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Exactly 3 years when we engaged. We talk about it a lot and I told him I don’t need to get marry right the way but I need to know we are serious and heading that direction before we committed to each other. I met him when I was 29… so I guess things happen the way we planned.. Engaged at year 3 and married at year 4.  

Post # 8
    744 posts
    Busy bee

I’m not engaged yet, but I’m guessing my SO and I will be engaged before a year (we’ve been together 8 months so far).  He’s actually a couple years younger than me (I’m 32), but he had a faster timeline to marriage than me!  We definitely want kids, which certainly factors into the quick timeline – though not the decision to get married of course.  I feel strongly that I’d rather be single than with the wrong guy!

Post # 9
    134 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

2.5 years for us. We had bought a house already, so we were already committed to building a life together. I never felt any pressure to hurry up & get married though.

Post # 10
    534 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

Well, I didn’t meet my fiance when I was in my 30s — I’m 30 now and getting married next week after a little over 2 years together.  When we first started dating I mentioned that I thought if we weren’t sure within a year that we were headed in a serious direction toward marriage that we should part ways, and he agreed.  We decided to get engaged at 11 months!  It had nothing to do with a “timeline” or anything like that…it was just the moment that we both realized we were in it for good.

Our motivation for getting engaged so quickly really didn’t have anything to do with wanting kids…we both feel like we have lots of time to worry about having children and I have a few things I want to work out with my career first.  I just felt like at this point in our lives (early 30s for me, mid-30s for him) that we knew ourselves well enough to know what we wanted long-term and to know if our relationship had what we were looking for.

Post # 11
    626 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2015

7 months! Fast yes but we knew wayyyyy before then even but didn’t want our families to not take us seriously. We’re getting married on 3/15/15 which is 2 months shy of our 2 year anniversary (15 month engagement). We were 32 and 33 when we met and we both have three kids and don’t want anymore so no rush for that reason, we’re just perfect together 🙂

Post # 12
    8071 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2015

RedheadMeggs:  you both have three kids, brady bunch style? Fun!

Post # 13
    975 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2014 - Banff, Alberta

3 and a bit years when he proposed. Will be four and a bit when we get married. I will be 25 and he will be 28 when we get married.

Post # 14
    1892 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

CapitolBee:  we are in our early 30s and got engaged after 5 years together. We’ve also lived together pretty much the entire time. We’re not religious or traditional so there was no rush.

We’re getting married now because it’ll be easier for the purpose of buying a home together and having a kid. Sounds very practical but we did have a very romantic proposal, with him surprising me by getting down on one knee on the last night of a vacation in Carmel during a walk on the beach to watch the sunset. 🙂 We’re excited to be husband and wife, to have a big party with our favorite people, and to continue the life we already have together.    

Post # 15
    157 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

We got engaged on our 8 year anniversary.  Had been living together for 7 1/2 years.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors