30 days away and no dresses…

posted 3 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: If your dresses showed up almost exactly 3 weeks before your wedding because of a designer error...
    I would ask for a discount on the dresses. : (16 votes)
    24 %
    I would ask for free alterations. : (38 votes)
    57 %
    I would just let it go. : (13 votes)
    19 %
    I'm a special snowflake. (Tell me what you'd do below!) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    1988 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: October 2015

I think free alterations are a great idea and possibly easier to achieve than getting a discount. But they should give you SOMETHING to make up for their mistake! 

Post # 4
    2169 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@mrsem2bee:  I wouldn’t stress about it too much, as long as they’re actually coming!  I had issues with mine but I’ve been assured I’ll have them by 10 March and that’s fine enough for me.   But… the girls have already tried very similar dresses on so I’m thinking the only alterations needed will be hemming and that can be done in a couple of days (one is coming from NZ on the Monday before the wedding and I’m only a tad freaked).  Do you expect your girls are going to need much in the way of alterations?

Post # 5
    7410 posts
    Busy Beekeeper

@mrsem2bee:  Unless you have something in writing guaranteeing a firm delivery date for the dresses, as in it says xyz dresses will be delivered no later than 1/1/11, then I really do not think you can ask for anything.

Post # 7
    2132 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

The manufacter has nothing to do with alterations.  I would ask about a discount

Post # 8
    2169 posts
    Buzzing bee

@mrsem2bee:  Did the girls all try the dress on?  Why don’t you ask them whether they expect to need alterations?  If they don’t, that should help calm your nerves, and if they do then you can push further.

Post # 11
    1432 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

I would ask for rush alterations at no extra charge. 🙂

Post # 12
    493 posts
    Helper bee

@mrsem2bee:  i keep stalking my bridal shop for my bridesmaids dresses too and they keep telling me its on the way. apparently there were huge delays in shipping due to all of the horrible weather in my area. regardless, they were ordered in september, so what the hell?

feeling your frustration. you are not alone!

May I ask who the manufacturer of your dresses are? mine are bill levkoff, so it would be funny if you had bill levkoff dresses as well

Post # 15
    605 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 2014 - Nazareth Hall

Alterations can be done in that short amount of time, it’s not like a bridal gown where you need multiple fittings. And how soon befor christmas were they ordered? I used to work in a bridal salon and if girls ordered anytime after 6 months out, the bride was made aware that this could happen as dresses generally take 12-16 weeks to come in especially if they are overseas.

Just so you are aware, if it is the designers mistake and not the bridal salon’s you probably won’t get a discount on alterations. It wasn’t thier fault the dresses got messed up and there wasn’t that 6 month window for any mistakes. I don’t mean to be rude, I am just trying to be realistic in what your expectations should be. But I guess it never hurts to ask, good luck and hopefully your dresses get here today.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors