(Closed) 30-something brides, what were you doing 10 years ago??

posted 7 years ago in 30 Something
Post # 3
3709 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Let’s see…10 years ago I was 25. I was working at IBM, had recently bought a new home, and was mama to an almost 4 year old. I wasn’t in any relationship and was very happy about that. I was definitely what you would call a serial dater (although I never brought anybody home). My daughter and I did a lot of travelling b/c I knew we would soon be bound by her school schedule. 

Now 10 years later…different job, same house (until marriage), same daughter (although a sometimes moody teenager)…and FI who has been in my life for the last 4 years. 

Life was good then…life is good now…just different

Post # 4
408 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

10 years ago I was 20, living with 4 other girls in a 2 bedroom apartment, getting drunk every.single.day.

Post # 5
875 posts
Busy bee

10 years ago, I was delighted to be anticipating a cousin’s New Year’s wedding celebration!  (It was black tie and very formal!)  I loved the ballgown I wore and the celebration was the start of a fabulous marriage!

Post # 6
2538 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I was also 20 and a Junior at UCLA.  I’m a long-term relationship girl and I think 20 was the most “single” I have ever been – probably not the safest year of my life, but I survived!  I was in a sorority, the marching band, and was playing intramural soccer.  Such a fun time!

Post # 7
1161 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2011

I was 29…in my second year of medical school up to my ears in books.  I had NO idea that I’d be moving to New Mexico soon, had not met FI (although I had talked with him on the phone once), and was getting ready to pick up my new puppy (who just turned 10 years old).

Post # 8
3587 posts
Sugar bee

I SO can’t wait til I can REALLY come to this board in 4 months! I want to answer this so bad.LOL

Post # 9
2066 posts
Buzzing bee

I was 22, fresh out of college, starting my career, living in a shoe boxed sized apartment, and single.  Now I live in a different city, have changed jobs a few times, live in a fantastic home, and I’m a newlywed!

Post # 10
205 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

love it! I was 21, sharing an apt with a friend (paying $245/mo for rent – you can only imagine) in my home state in NE, partying A LOT (lol), just started dating my ex (that’s a story in itself), working two crappy jobs, and attending community college. I have no idea how I had the energy for all that!

Now – have my master’s degree, renting a house with my amazing FH, and living in another area of the US. I never dreamed I would have a career, meet the man of my dreams or move out of my home town. Sometimes I look around and it amazes me 🙂

Post # 11
439 posts
Helper bee

I was 20.  Married to my ex-husband (who I divorced about 6 months later).  I was a junior in college and had just decided to major in English.

Post # 12
2104 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

10 years ago I was 21, a junior in college.  Living in a house with four other girls.  No relationship, in fact never had a boyfriend. 

Post # 13
1893 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

Let’s see, 10 years ago I was 23.  I was just graduating San Francisco State University with my communications degree.  I was working as a campaign manager for a local Assemblywoman and was applying to law school.  My second long term relationship was just coming to an end (thank god) and I was living by myself for the first time in a converted Victorian house in Napa. 

Ah, memories…

ETA: oh crap!  Wait, I was recounting 2003, not when I WAS 23!  That would’ve been 2000/2001.  Okay, I had just moved to Napa after leaving my evil ex-boyfriend (like, throw all your crap into a trash bag and get the hell out while he was at work, left.)  I rented a couple rooms from a woman in her house and was waiting tables until I could save up enough money to continue with my classes at SFSU.   I was spending a lot of time in bars after work.  My credit was so bad I couldn’t even get a bank account and was forced to deal with those skeevy check cashing places. I was just coming out of a VERY dark time…

Now I’m an attorney renting a home with my FI who I’m marrying in three and a half months!!  We’re also looking to buy a home.  I’ve come a LONG way in the past 10 years.

Post # 14
1030 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Oh gosh. Let’s see. 10 years ago I was 23. I was living in a studio apt in DC working for a big int’l org, just found out I’d gotten into grad school in Boston. Holy crap that feels like forever ago!

Post # 15
922 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Oh boy..I was 23 and a MESS..lol..Was just starting my career in adveritsing (which I am still doing today)….was living in Hoboken.. I was heavily into the party scene – expecially clubs in NYC…lots of partying…lots of wearing outfits I would never thinking to wear now…going to clubs AT 5am and staying until noon..going out every night..its a wonder I made it through those years alive…I wouldn’t take anything back, but was such a different life than i live now!

Post # 16
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

@lezlers: Seriously, that is a great turn around story!  We really hit some low places in our lives… I guess that saying is true – If you didn’t know the feeling of hurt/dispair you would never know what happiness is.  Kudos to you! How did you do it!!!????

My story- 10 years ago… lets see I left a guy I was living with, found my own beautiful apartment, bought a car, worked a lot of hours at a job I loved and was completely content with my independant living.  I bought a dog shortly after and he is my life… he’s almost 9 now.  I have to say, that period of my life was great…. then followed by some dark/hard moments.  I also had a situation like lezlers where I packed all my crap in a garbage bag over 10 years ago while he was at work and moved home!!!! 🙂

The topic ‘30-something brides, what were you doing 10 years ago??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors