$3,000 Budget – Is it possible?

posted 6 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
215 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Best advice: Keep control of your guest list.  Opt for the BEST of a few things for your nearest and dearest instead of an inviting everyone you know and then trying to figure out how to pay for it.

Post # 4
120 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

What we did was ditch the flowers. I made DIY centrepieces with pinwheels and I made gorgeous paper bouquets. Flowers are SUPER expensive and my paper bouquets look amazing and really fit my vintage theme. Our wedding is coming in at around 3000. our biggest thing is networking. Lots of people have skills you might not know about, like cake making or calligraphy, that they do as a hobby and this can save you big bucks.

I was also blessed with a maid of honour who could realistically out-craft Martha Stewart and a fiance who can haggle anyone down in price. I’ve found it’s all about who you know. Good luck!

Post # 5
21 posts
  • Wedding: November 1999

We are doing a diy wedding with 125 ppl, and a sit down dinner for 4000. check out local american legions and vfw they are doing a full sit down dinner for 10 pp and waiveing the cost of the venue cuz we are over 100ppl that includes all of the table linens ect.  I had a local trade school do my flowers for 200 total 3 bridesmiads 3 grooms men 2moms 1 dad 2 grandmas/grandpas ring bearer and flower girl.  Dresses are expensive but shop sales and be willing to wait for the sale to come up   I waited 1 month and my dress was 1/2 price only $250! if you diy a lot it is completly doable 50% off coupons are your bff and most art stores accept them off of your phone so no need to print!  Feel free to pm me if you want any help, I love the planing and catching sales!

Post # 6
4676 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Get creatiive!  (we have a little bit more than twice that budject, but if I had to I could find cuts!)

My mom found a great deal in a venue at a local county park, the building is gorgous, and only $350 for the entire day!  You can definately have the ceremony and reception in the same spot (in my case we I have a beautiful outdoors area, but if it rains, indoors it is!)

Flowers are still do-able if you want them.  My mom is growing a bunch for my wedding, anything else that we need we are getting from Sam’s Club or flower wholesalers.

Definately DIY the shit out of your wedding, but make smart buys as well (this has been my #1 sin….  ) Use your coupons wisely.  JoAnnes, Micheals and Hobby Lobby all usually have 40 or 50% coupons off items at least once a week.  

I’m not sure where you live, but location can be a big one, my wedding probably would have cost a lot more to do where I live, in a bigger city.  Becasue we are having it in my hometown (middle of nowhere….) we are able to get things MUCH cheaper (for instance to have my food catered is  going to be $12 per plate, I could have gotten it for 10, but wanted glass plates (there was a $2 charge for this), and I could have gotten cheaper than that if I went with a different caterer, to get a catered meal where I live know would have cost a minimum of $17 per plate.  This saved us about $500!) 

Good Luck! 

Post # 7
8 posts
  • Wedding: May 2012

I think you can definately make that work! My advise is to plan, plan, plan. And like Jennifer said, keep control of your guest list. My, most expensive budget pushing things were/are food and flowers. But watch out for the little guys too because they can add up: stationary, guestbook, ceremony decorations, reception decorations, gifts for attendants. 

Yes, I’ve heard of wedding and ceremony in the same room! It’s my backup plan in case it rains! 🙂 

I think the most important budgeting tool for you will be to remember is that it’s the marriage and not the wedding that really matters. Flowers, food, and all of that don’t last, but you’re marriage will. 

Stay positive, be crafty, take advantages of thrift, sales, and bulk opportunities.

Good luck!

Post # 8
234 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

You can do it and be patient! Do your research and don’t give in to the first price you hear. I started out wanting to invite all of these people buinbox I could careless if half come. I just want to marry my best friend with my closets friends and family there. I am doing chili and a potato bar for food at $10 a head and I had to do a ton of research to get the price and food I wanted. I have bought all of my dinnerware at party city, my favors are going to be DIY coasters, my hair and makeup will be done by my sisters, I found an up and coming photographer to do my wedding ($650 total) I’m doing all of my own decorations. I have used etsy for a lot of things! I am doing save the dates for $120 but originally was planning on making my own. I bought my invitations from michaels for $17 a box (5 boxes) and a close printing company is going to print them for $70. I have a $5000 budget but I’m working hard to stay under it. I splurged on my dress (850) but I love it. In all reality it is a very special day that you will remember forever but you won’t remember half of the planning days so don’t stress too much. I have had so many people tell me that DIY weddings are so much fun to attend bc so much care was put into it not just a lot of money thrown into a typical traditional wedding! 

Post # 9
939 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

Also…if you know of anyone getting married before you, get dibs on anything you could use!  I had a distant relative get married a few months ago and my grandma got me a whole bunch of tablecloths for $1 each.  She also got me some other odds n ends like ribbon and skirting for dirt cheap too.  All new, and unused.

Post # 9
5 posts

I suggest just take a wedding package which is not stressful thus you can let your time spend to other things. Have you heard about Miami Wedding Packages they’re offering such discounts and affordable packages that you may love too. I tend to organize my own wedding but I realized that its much easier if I let others do it for me.

Post # 10
364 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

Andra2000 :  depends how many people you’re talking. 10? absolutley! 150? not likely!

Post # 11
1428 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

ricam :  this thread is from 4 years ago…..

Post # 12
2251 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2017

ricam :  well this isnt blantent advertising… not even subtle undecided

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors