(Closed) $3000 or Stuffed Guests?

posted 10 years ago in Beehive
Post # 3
245 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2008

i think it depends on your # of guests, the time of day, & the reception venue, and also the feel you want for your wedding.  if it is a "dinner time" evening reception, or you want to have a more formal feel to your wedding, splurge for the sit down.  i would lean toward a sit down dinner any time the guests would expect a full meal (4pm- 7pm?) On the other hand, if you are having a more informal reception, early afternoon or late evening, i would skip the sit-down.  it’s just one meal & cocktail reception is sufficient that people who are hungry wont starve.

Post # 4
286 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2007

I agree with Piperbenjamin.  You also want to consider how much the $3000 will set you back.  With a wedding, any large amount is painful, but if you can recover that amount is a relatively short period of time, I’d say go for it.  My reception had the whole nine yards and people are still talking about the abundance of delicious food (and judging from the Top Three board post, people will find the reception more memorable).  If the amount really puts you in a bind, then just have the cocktail reception.  All that really matters is that people aren’t hungry.

Post # 5
202 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

personally, #2, no matter what.

Post # 6
236 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

$3000 is a LOT of money. If you want to save that money – I think you should plan your wedding time around it. Maybe you can have a brunch type reception so that people don’t expect a real meal. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It makes so much sense. Plus, i think guests really respect when couples find clever ways to save money and have a wedding that is "within their means". good luck!

Post # 7
105 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

yes it depends on how many guests? If it is over 100, I would say go for it – your guests will be gracious. If it is like 30, that is a lot of money….

Post # 8
30 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: February 2018

I recently went to a wedding where it was just Horse D’ouvres and it was in the evening.  When I first saw that it was going to be like that I was a little disappointed and thought it wouldnt turn out well.  But there was plenty of food and everyone was stuffed.  The best part was that you could snack all night instead of having one meal and that’s that. 

The other thing that was nice about the way that they did it was that since it was the food stations instead of a formal dinner, while they were getting their pictures taken all the guests were invited to go directly to the reception hall and start eating and drinking, which was great because there was no lull.  Their grand entrance was still as grand as anyone I’ve ever seen and there was not one unhappy guest in the whole place

My point is (yes I have one) that you can pull it off so it still works and is just as classy (and maybe more fun) it just depends on how formal you want your reception to be.  This approach definately caters more to the easy going/less formal wedding.

Post # 9
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

I think for dinner, if you are just going to have apps, you have to let the guests know.  most people expect dinner if its an evening wedding.  but any other time of the day is fine!  Though, I wouldn’t count on a long reception.

Post # 10
112 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2018

For dinner I would say splurge.

Post # 11
1246 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I’ve been to a couple of really nice receptions that featured food stations with heavy appetizers. Everybody was stuffed and happy at the end of the night and, like Aly said, it left people free to snack and mingle from the very beginning. It wasn’t as formal, but it was more fun.

Post # 12
10 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I’ve attended quite a few weddings (some with full filet mingon sit down meals, some buffet style, some heavy appitizers)  and I am partial to the heavy appitizer receptions.  The reason being, well, first of all, I’m that girl that fills up on the appitizers, and by the time the meal gets to the table, I’m full.  I know when I go to a wedding with a sit down meal, I feel obligated to sit and stay, and once, I had to send my meal back (please do not think I am a b**ch, some people love their beef rare, I, on the other hand, will vomit violently.  The catering coordinator noticed I wasnt eating and polietly took it back to be cooked all the way through, but it was tough to sit at the table while everyone ate around me.  fortunately, I filled up on hors d’ourves prior to sitting down).

I just always feel like heavy appitizers flow better, people can pick and choose what they like, they can mingle and sit at tables with people they enjoy, and if you’re worried about people getting hungry, do a carving table and a shrimp and grits or mashed potato station.

Post # 13
211 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2011 - in the woods

What would I do? I’d have the cocktail reception and the $3,000. The reasons:

I’ve heard that the bride and groom spend so much time visiting guests and dancing that they hardly have time to eat. With the focus on appetizers, they may be more likely to eat bits and pieces throughout the night. (Nothing’s worse than a grumbling stomach!)

Whenever I get fed a huge meal at weddings, it is so good that I want to keep eating (that, and I know that the family spent a lot of precious money for the meal) so I end up eating all of it and feel so stuffed at the end! I went to a wedding with just appetizers for the reception and loved it! I was able to snack some, but it allowed me and some guests to go out for more of a meal after the reception to keep on celebrating into the night!

As long as the guests get fed good food, I can’t justify spending $3,000 more for elegance. Unless that’s the tone you are going for with your wedding. In that case, it may be worth it.

The topic ‘$3000 or Stuffed Guests?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors