(Closed) 31 days to go… change the reception venue?

posted 7 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
4001 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I might be in the minority vote here, but I don’t think you owe the restaurant anything!  This is business.  I mean of course this is all for a wedding which is personal, but until your wedding day, this is a business transaction.  If they aren’t planning on holding up to their end of the bargain, you have to do what’s right for you guys.  That’s the problem with just a verbal agreement, either party can re-neg at any point.  But, I’d still try to speak to them about this, to see if they can at least lower this fee, before you totally burn the bridge.  I hope the marina can work with you guys!  It sounds like that’s where you’re meant to be. 

Post # 4
1956 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Tannery Pond at the Darrow School

You don’t owe the resturant anything and if you haven’t signed a contract, go for the marina! Although I would wait until you have final absolute confirmation from them that they can do what you want within your price range, bc you don’t want to burn your bridges with the other resturant and then be SOL when the marina is too expensive or something…

But adding a $3k fee without prior notice would be enough for me to walk away, personally, espcially if your dream venue is available…

Post # 5
1206 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

Without a contract, I would be super nervous continuing to work with the restaurant–who knows what other fees they may feel free to tack on, considering they surprised you with this one?  If you are more comfortable dealing with the marina, I’d go that route, but keep in mind there may be many things to change/decide and not a super long time to make those decisions.  Before canceling with the restaurant, though, I’d make sure you’re all settled with the marina; you don’t want to be left without any reception venue at all.  Good luck!

Post # 7
4385 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

Ummm. Yeah. I would totally change it. That $3000 fee is RIDICULOUS.

Post # 9
5757 posts
Bee Keeper

We actually had to pay $2000. for set-up, waitstaff and clean-up,but were told about it in the original contract. The site fee was an additional $5000. The caterer provided all the food, chefs, servers and bartenders, and they don’t come cheap or free. You should have been told about it upfront,tho.

I agree that before you cancel anything, see what your dream venue will do for you. You may be hit with the same service charges, tho. Hope you get what you want! Good luck.

Post # 10
1426 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

You owe the restaurant nothing!  Contracts are there to protect both you and the vendor.  This vendor tried to screw you over by springing these charges on you with out a contract, now it’s time for him to get a taste of his own medicine.  If he complains, I would say “Well, you were the one who didn’t want to do a contract, so I guess you’re SOL.”  He needs to learn a tough lesson- when you treat people like crap and try to take advantage of them, you loose business. 

I really hope the marina works out.  It sounds like a better location, and they have been upfront and honest with you from the beginning.  Even if they come in a little over your budget, it will still be better than the $3000 fee.  And I say even if the marina doesn’t work out, anywhere would be better than this shady restaurant at this point!

Post # 11
1765 posts
Buzzing bee

Oh, I hope the Marina works out for you.  Have them draw up the total agreement, so you don’t have any surprises with them!!!  Good luck!! 🙂

Post # 12
1418 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Yep – if you want to walk away from the restaurant, do it!  You have no obligation to them and a fee that comes out of no where is ridiculous – especially when you specifically inquired about it before.

If the marina can accommodate you within your budget (or at least close enough to it), I would make arrangements to do the reception there.  That is what you really wanted the whole time anyways! And they have been honest and open with you, so I do not see any sketchy business happening with them!

Post # 14
516 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

If you are not bined to a contract then definitely go for the one you want 🙂

The topic ‘31 days to go… change the reception venue?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors