31 weeks with a breech baby….will he ever turn?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
1305 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Firstly, hey! Almost EDD twins 🙂

My first was about 32 weeks when she turned and started moving down. So I had quite a bit of pressure down into my pelvis, cervix and on my bladder from then. At 31 weeks they still have time and room to move, so don’t worry. He’s also only slightly turned from the normal position so he doesn’t even have to move very far.

Post # 4
1157 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

My sister is a week and 2 days from her due date. For most of the pregnancy, the baby was head down and about 2 weeks ago, he was breeched. She went back to the Dr. last Friday and he flipped back heand down. 

It would feel like the regular movements the baby usually does.

Post # 5
3633 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

There’s nothing to worry about if the baby is breeched at 32 weeks. Babies will keep moving (as long as they have room and whatnot to move) up until the end so you have plenty of time for the baby to move into the right position. That being said, some OBs will do an US at about 36 weeks and if the baby is still breeched, they may attempt to manually massage and coax the baby into turning. This can only be done at 37 weeks, I believe. Other OBs may not do an US but can tell by feel which way the baby is facing and may still attempt to turn the baby.

Post # 6
1284 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’m surprised they even told you that he was head up or down at 12 weeks, or even 20 weeks, ultrasounds, when it was just as likely he would have flipped himself around 5 mins later with all that swimming around 🙂 from what I’ve heard/read it’s not even worth worrying about until 32-34 weeks, when things start getting a bit tighter, and even then, only something like 3% of babies are still breech at time of delivery (although lots more get c-sectioned out just in case). 

From what I’ve heard from a friend who had babies that turned, she just felt a major somersault movement when it happened (although I doubt everyone would know this is what they’d experienced).

Hang in there, plenty of time for him to sort himself out 🙂 apparently there is a website called spinning babies with ideas for how to help babies change position (according to a midwife, some are logical, some are a bit whacky!!)

Post # 7
2111 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

With my sister’s baby, she could feel her moving around. Occasionally, she’d start agressively rolling or flipping over. We referred to it as her alligator death roll.

Post # 9
1395 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I’m 35 weeks and one of our twins has been flipping up and down and sideways for the last few weeks. Like you, I’m hoping she settles the right way!

Post # 11
1284 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

@MusicBee76:  about half an hour after replying I had to take my own advice, because I found out my previously head down baby girl is currently transverse, at 34 weeks! But my OB did not seem the last bit concerned, she said there is still plenty of time to get into position. Deep breaths 🙂 personally, I would opt to try turning before a c-section, I’m quite scared of the idea of surgery.

Post # 12
664 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I’m in the same boat as you. 30w and baby’s been sitting upright with his head under my ribs for the entire pregnancy so far. I’m hoping he’ll sort himself out soon, but I’ll definitely try to turn him if he doesn’t.

@UK Bride:  My twin sister was breech at delivery, but since I was born first it was easier than usual for them to do a breech vaginal delivery, so it turned out to be no problem. Hopefully your little lady will turn though. Good luck!

Post # 13
2402 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

My son was frank breech (feet up by his head) the entire time and never ended up turning, so I ended up having a c-section. I declined to have the procedure done where they try to make the baby turn, though.

At 30ish weeks your baby still has plenty of time to turn. My OB said they generally don’t worry about it until around 36/37 weeks. 

Hope your LO turns head down for you!

Post # 14
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

If your baby i still breech when it matter, google “spinning babies”, or see a chiropracter. They can be very helpful with those things 🙂 Best of luck!

Post # 15
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I think your baby will turn!

I had a friend whose baby moved into position super early, flipped back into breech two weeks before her due date, and flipped again just in time for her delivery!

Post # 16
2184 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 2011 - Florida Aquarium

In my prenatal yoga class, the instructor teaches positions to help the baby into position– maybe look into something like? 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors