3/4 carat too small? Pictures Please

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
173 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2015

I have always been the type of person who was more into the bigger Swarovski type things then I ever was the more classic diamond pieces. I even shocked myself when we were at my if friends jewelry store and I fell in love with an engagement ring that had a center stone a little less than a carat. The diamond itself is certified and graded extremely well so I’m so taken aback by the sparklyness of it that the size just doesn’t occur to me. Never once did I think it looked small. 

Post # 3
8047 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2015

c4rr134nn:  well dear he probably just couldn’t afford to match your friends rings- over 1, then over 1.5 is quite expensive. those stats sound great and I’m sure as a former jeweler he made a great pick. 

wear it awhile you’ll probably love it- if not maybe you can put it into a more elaborate setting or upgrade to a carat+ for an anniversary.

Post # 4
2222 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1987

Size isn’t everything.  It’s a US obsession.  Also maybe the diamond is for a necklace rather than a ring.

Finger size 5.5, diamond 0.51 carats and proud of it.

If you want to see what 0.75 would look like on a 5.5 finger then have a look at http://www.diamdb.com.

Post # 5
115 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

i have .75 on 5.5 finger most people think that is is a full carat. and are shocked when i tell them that it is a .75ct with the same specs as yours.

Post # 6
343 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

My ring is 3/4 ct and I think it’s perfect on my size 6 finger! It has great specs which was more important to me than size 🙂

Post # 7
3552 posts
Sugar bee

I would say it’s the clarity, cut and the shape of the diamond that makes a difference.  Honestly…I hate to say it you sound very superficial… I have a .82 carat and wouldn’t wish for any more.  I did switch back and forth between two rings and finally settled on something similiar to this (we’re getting a four pronged ring).  I have a size 3 finger. But the point is the gift not the size.  He probably picked out that ring thinking you’d like it, not feel upset that it wasn’t 1 carat.

Post # 8
4596 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

My center is a .75 (sorry, it’s a huge pic!). I’m a size 6.

Post # 9
2661 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Until I got on the wedding bee, I always thought 3/4 a carat was a big stone…LOL….I still do.  I don’t get the obsession with huge stones. 

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  NavyBee.
Post # 10
8914 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013 - Rocky Mountains USA

Sounds like a lovely ring to me. Hopefully you will be thrilled with your engagement and not disappointed in the size of a rock. 

Mine is 0.7 center stone on 6.25 ring finger. 

Post # 11
866 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

c4rr134nn:  are you familiar with diamond prices? I know I wasn’t until FI and I started looking at rings. I used to run around saying I wanted a 4ct ring having no idea how much that really cost! I see the same things with some of my friends, they see the rings on Pinterest (some of which are mossiy) and in the wedding magazines and think that all girls have such big Diamonds. 

In your situation i would only be annoyed if my FI could easily afford a 1 carat ring and we had talked about that being what I really wanted. If you never told him that’s what you really wanted (or bigger) and/or if he realistically can’t afford it then you need to be happy with what he got you! 

Post # 12
812 posts
Busy bee

I’m a 5.5 with 3-4. A lot of people thinks it is bigger then it is. 

Post # 13
791 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

My finger is a bit smaller than yours, but this is a 0.75 on a 4.5 sized finger. 

Post # 14
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I have a .75 oval on a 4.5 finger. I’ve had people say they were shocked how much bigger it is than they expected. I had a friend that swore she only wanted 1.5 diamond that .75 would actually work for her. I’ve had numerous people comment about how “huge” my ring is, when it really isn’t that extreme.

Do you like halos? Because that’s an easy way to make a “smaller” diamond look bigger. If it’s a solitaire, and you’re really concerned, I believe a jeweler can add a halo around your original setting.  Personally, i think .75 is a perfect size, especially for smaller sized fingers.

Congrats on you upcoming engagement!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by  shools164.
Post # 15
319 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Ckasnoff:  I love your ring! Such a pretty band. So unique. Simple but with a little flair. I love the scalloped detail, mine is too but without diamonds but carved detail instead.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors