3/4 to 1 inch of hair regrowth still there after highlights done… Ugh!

posted 3 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
1249 posts
Bumble bee

Just mention to her that this time you would like the highlights to start closer to your scalp… the less amount of roots seen the better!! My hairstylist has told me about crazy people who actually PREFER some roots left. Bizarre to me, but there are people out there who like that. So maybe your stylist thinks everyone wants their hair done that way? It never hurts to tell your hairstylist you want something a little different. If you dont, she’ll never know! If she still doesnt do it to your satisfaction, time to find a new stylist 🙂

Post # 4
2305 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

Is she using a cap instead of foils? I think with foils this is less likely to happen. There is really no reason for there to be that much hair missed… When I used to get highlights an inch of regrowth was about when I’d go back to get it redone- there better not be an inch left when it was done!

In your shoes, I might find a different stylist. There’s no need to tell her why or even that you are going to someone else. Just don’t make a new appointment.

Post # 5
783 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

Sorry, but highlights cost a lot of money – they should be done right and in a way that you won’t have to come back sooner to spend MORE money! That’s crazy.

Post # 9
3199 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Beasha:  this happened to me with my last stylist. when i got home and noticed it, i called her immediately and made her redo it for free. 0.o she was super nice about it, but i wasn’t going to pay for sorta-kinda highlighted hair

Post # 10
7098 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

If you’re doing highlights sometimes they don’t go right to the scalp because it can make your head look kind of bald in those areas. But 1″ is way too much…

Post # 11
2179 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2024

@Beasha- I had the same issue. I asked for it to be done closer to my roots, she did “as close as she could” (so she said) and it still was ridiculously visible. That was my last trip to her, I clearly explained what I wanted and she didn’t deliver.

I got a new stylist who listens to my concerns and does a great job. I loved my old stylist, I went to her for years but the time came when I was sick of wasting money on crappy results.

Post # 12
1327 posts
Bumble bee

Is it because they don’t want to singe your scalp with ammonia? I’ve had highlights, which were done with a gap, and I’ve had my full head dyed (they said they left as much of a gap as they could but as far as I was concerned, they worked it through all my hair right down to the scalp) and it really burned, where my scalp contacted dye. :S

Post # 13
783 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

@Beasha:  Just mention it as politely as possible. It’s not fun to be unhappy when you leave the salon. Especially not more than once – and definitely not when you’ve spent a lot of money for the service. I’ve wasted far too much money on bad coloring and highlights in the past!

Post # 14
23 posts
Newbee

@theEguarantee:  Agree on the craziness of some people wanting their roots to show! I was amazed wig shopping by how many light blond wigs had REALLY prominent dark roots. Totes weird imo.

Post # 15
2992 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

My hair stylist does my roots – then highlights 2 weeks later. And yes, the highlights go all the way to the roots.

Post # 16
1443 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - parent's backyard

@Beasha:  I agree with PPs, the highlights should be much closer to the scalp.

have you ever thought of asking for Balayage instead? instead of there being a harsh line where the root grows in, there is a nice, soft transition between the dark root and where the highlight begins.  it is way less noticeable when it grows out and looks more natural, like the sun highlighted your hair. you can get away with not doing touchups for a bit longer!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors