(Closed) 35+ and pregnant – concerns?

posted 5 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
561 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

@NJmeetsBX:  I did the same thing. Told DH it would take us a long time to conceive, ZOMG, start now, DON’T YOU UNDERSTAND HOW DIFFICULT THIS WILL BE, as I was 36. Got preg the first cycle. I’m 37 now and due at the end of April.

So. My parents were older when they had me – mom was 34. It was unusual at the time, in small-town KS, where people have their kids early. I don’t worry nearly so much about it now. So many people are waiting until they’re older to have children. Two friends had their first at 40.

A friend who became a dad at 44 says his daughter keeps him young, and I believe it. Plus, look at you! You and Weezy have many happy years ahead. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 4
6826 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Honestly it did at first yes. I am 39 and have a 1.5 yr old.  But it doesn’t matter I love my little boy so much, I don’t care how old I am.  He is such a joy and lights up my life so much. 

Post # 5
1385 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

No way! People are waiting until they are older to have children and to get married. People had children young because life was financially easier several decades ago. Single income, blue collar job families could live off of dads income and buy a home, etc. Life just isn’t like that anymore so it’s the norm to wait until your 30’s for baby having. I wouldn’t worry!

Post # 6
2227 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: January 2012

My mom had me at 36 & then proceeded to have my 2 sisters at 38 & 42. She’s almost 10 years older than DH’s parents and they’re more “old people” than she is. I don’t think you need to be worried about your chronological age in terms of what kind of parent it’ll make you. I think your personality will be more of a factor on what kind of parent you’ll be than 5-10 extra years of life. If anything, you’ve got life experience on those young moms and are more likely way more financially & emotionally stable. 

Congrats on your BFP! I hope you have a happy & healthy 9 months ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 7
1572 posts
Bumble bee

@MrsRugbee:  I completely agree that personality is much more of a factor.

Don’t worry! ๐Ÿ™‚ So many people are having babies later now, you are in good company.

Post # 8
1658 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

My dad is 43 years older than I am. He’s in pretty good health, still working, but yeah, it does slightly worry me at times. But it doesn’t make me love him any less. Mom had me when she was 32. She’s almost 51 now.

Post # 9
2902 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

Years ago it would have bothered me but all my friends are in their 30’s and only a couple have kids. So we are all in the same boat ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 10
618 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2010 - Catholic Church & The Engine Room at Georgetown Studios

I didn’t give it another thought.  Age is really just a number. If you resign yourself to being an “old mom” you’ll act like an old mom. Don’t let anyone make you feel like 35+ is too old. 

Post # 11
1213 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2004

My mom had me at 34.  I never gave it a thought when I was growing up that she might be a bit older.  I even remember her 50th birthday party and I had so much fun at it :). We are very close – I wouldn’t worry about your age one bit.  You are so blessed to have conceived on only your second try!

Post # 12
4687 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013 - Upstate NY

Think of all the life you got to live before your little one! I know some young moms who feel like their 20’s were stolen from them. Bad term but you know what I mean.

Post # 13
5007 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

You’re fine!! People are living so much longer these days that it’s silly to compare to having kids when you’re in your early 20’s, which isn’t really common anymore. My mom had me at 33 and my sister at 42 (one in between) and I’ve never even thought about wishing she were younger. My FI will probably in his late 30’s when we have our first, and over 40 if we have a second. It will be fine!

Post # 14
1200 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I’m 37 and pregnant with my first… no worries!  My weight is more a worry than my age.  Even the genetisist I spoke to (had to because at my age I am, indeed, “high risk”) said 37 is NOT old nowadays and she thinks it’s ridiculous they put worry at this age.  My pregnancy is going great so far!  I’m overweight AND have PCOS… the odds are NOT stacked against you:)  I actually hope to have another, too!

Post # 15
9143 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@NJmeetsBX:  My mom was 40 when she had my baby sister (there are 17 years between us and no other siblings.)  She is lot more laid back with my sister than she was with me but some of that is experience from raising me.  My sister just turned 12 and my mom is 52.  Her comments to me are that she wished she had waited longer to have me (she was 23) but she thinks 40 is too long because her pregnancy was so uncomfortable and she is a bit worried about being close to 60 when my sister graduates from high school.

She would have liked to finish raising kids by 50 or 55 at the latest because now she wishes she had alone time with her husband and to go on adults only vacations.  I remind her that I am well old enough to watch my sister and that she can take adults only vacations whenever she wants so long as she gives me enough forwarning to prepare to watch my sister.  I already take her for a week every summer so my mom gets a break.

Post # 16
1293 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: December 2018

@NJmeetsBX:  Absolutely understand your concerns, but it seems to be the trend nowadays. So long as you and baby stay healthy, that is all that matters! Whether you’re 50 with a teenager, or 40 with a teenager, you will find the energy to be a great mom!

The topic ‘35+ and pregnant – concerns?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors