$350 for bridal hair and makeup?!?!?!?!

posted 4 years ago in Beauty
Post # 3
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@nemoandthebrain: I’m in New England area and I got quoted $350 just for hair at one place – no thank you!  THough they did offer a cut/color before hand but I wasn’t going to get it done by them and they wouldn’t lower the price if you weren’t going to use that service.  

I had the BEST airbrush MUA and it cost around $100 (including trial) and was like $75 for bridal party members.  My hair cost $125 (including trial). 

Those prices also included travel to venue.

$350 is pretty absurd if you’re not getting a cut/color from them and not getting airbrush.  Keep looking, you can do better!

Post # 4
3303 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Wanker…we get over-charged for everything.  We’re out of state and went off the preferred vendor list. We’re paying $500 for hair and makeup for just me :. i’m def going to mention this in my venue’s yelp review.

Post # 5
654 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@nemoandthebrain:  wow thats craZy!! I thought $210 was heaps!! Does that price include a trial?

Post # 6
362 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

$350 is ridiculous!  Definately keep looking.  I see that you are in California, I found this blog that I have used for some makeup inspiration.  Not sure how much she charges, but thought I would share.

http://bridesbybrittany.wordpress.com/

Post # 7
7281 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

My hair and make-up was $400 (unlimited trials). So if $350 includes a trial for each, that seems pretty reasonable to me.

Post # 8
4817 posts
Honey bee

I’m in San Diego and mine’s $150 for the trial and $200 the wedding (airbrush and fake eyelashes). If the $350 includes a trial, that’s not bad. I wouldn’t use her though if your friend had a bad experience!!

Post # 9
33 posts
Newbee

@nemoandthebrain:  My hair and makeup is $315. That includes trials for both, fake eyelashes and airbrush makeup. Even though it includes lashs and airbrush, it’s still a little high. I don’t understand why bridal hair/updos can be 80-100 dollars when the same hair stylist will do updos for bridesmaids for 65. To me, an updo is an updo. Why should it cost more for the bride? This industry is crazy price-wise!

Post # 10
1329 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

My hair will be about $80 in a salon, and then a friend who is a MAC artist is doing my makeup for $40 so $120 is my total. But before I found out a friend would do the makeup, my quotes were over $100 from other artists just for makeup, I couldn’t believe it. I think some take advantage of the fact that a bride wants to look perfect and many will not DIY themselves. Just like anything wedding related, prices are just too high! 

Post # 11
341 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

In DC bridal makeup ranges from $150-250. So that price isnt that crazy afterall

Post # 12
343 posts
Helper bee

I agree that if it includes a trial it’s not all that bad. I’m in CA too and I just happened to luck out with my girl and I get my trial and day-of hair/makeup (incl. airbrush and false lashes) for under 200 total. She works at the salon I’ve gone to for years so it worked out really well actually. 

Post # 13
2630 posts
Sugar bee

I looked at ads on Craigslist for wedding hair/makeup and found a few good artists. I looked at their portfolios and asked a few questions before I picked one. My hair, makeup, and one trial is going to cost me $70, and my MOH is getting her hair done for $60. She (stylist) is also coming to the hotel to do everything. Shop around, ladies.

Post # 14
8282 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2012

That’s about right from the people I inquired about. Mine, I’m pretty sure, was $300.

Post # 15
323 posts
Helper bee

Times like these make me SOOOO glad my little sister’s best friend does hair and makeup for a living! Luckily I’ve known her since she was little and she’s doing my hair and makeup for practically free! And seriously, my hair is almost to my BUTT and is baby fine and perfectly straight, and when she did my hair trials my hair was STILL curled a beautiful the NEXT DAY! There is NO excuse for a professional to have hair fall flat! Sadly for my friends wedding she went with some “professionals” and ALL of our hair fell flat in 45 minutes. They had to TOUCH UP our curls, and then they just LEFT an hour before the ceremony…. so we had to touch up our own hair AND the bride’s hair AGAIN right before we walked down the aisle! They charged $90 for JUST CURLS (well $120 for my length). If we wanted it pinned in ANYWAY it would be an extra $50. If we wanted an UP DO it would be about $200. Seriously this was just for hair. Make-up was $85/person, and $150 for the bride. I opted to do my own and save the bride a little $$$. (So glad I did too… the make up girl wasn’t that great.)

Post # 16
191 posts
Blushing bee

Im using a salon that is near my hotel which is near our venue.  I was quoted $100 for hair, $150 for airbrush makeup and the trial will be $100……..so $350 it is.  I have my trial next week and if I’m not happy with anything I’ll look somewhere else 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors