4 hour wedding block too short?

posted 2 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
2132 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

I’m having my reception at a Maggiano’s in less than 2 weeks!  They really are reasonably priced and have amazing food.  We are doing a 5 hour slot evening just for the reception- we are getting married in a church.  We weren’t offered a cheaper price for an afternoon slot (just less of a food minimum), but we really wouldn’t have considered an afternoon reception anyways.  Definitely if you are having your ceremony there too you will need at least 5 hours if you want dancing too.  

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  mgbser.
Post # 4
108 posts
Blushing bee

If you do an afternoon reception and feel you would like the party to continue, you could designate a local bar/park/ice cream parlor as the “after party” location. That way you can still hang out with the people who want to stay, but you can also minimize your costs. 

Post # 5
2132 posts
Buzzing bee

I’d figure out what package you would consider and how many guests you are inviting- you might meet the minimum for the evening anyways (and if you have a long engagement like I did the number of guests tends to go up as you plan).  Even if you don’t, you can always upgrade something to meet it so you don’t have to pay the room charge (might as well get something for you money!).  Having a food minimum rather than a venue charge was a huge selling point for me.  I would still definitely go with the 5 hour for a ceremony and reception, but it might make you a bit more comfortable with the decision.  We ended up adding an extra room because we would make the minimum anyways and we might as well have the space.    

Post # 6
1441 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

I just worked on our timeline for a ceremony/reception at the same site (not a restaurant). I initially was going with 4 hours but when I put it all together, it did not seem like enough time so I opted for five.  And that’s with having no bridesmaids and not doing cake cutting / dances / speeches / bouquet tossing or any of that jazz. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors