4 months in… Should I jump?

posted 3 years ago in Career
Post # 3
2264 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

@imalittlebirdie: I would apply for the other job but I wouldn’t leave your current one until the new position was offered to you. I know you love where you currently are but think about how much more time you will have to focus on the kids in your new area when you are only traveling 30 minutes rather than 3 hours. Plus imagine how much more time you have for your home life. Balance is a good thing. Definitely give your current employers more than enough time to find a replacement so you don’t burn that bridge. 

ETA: don’t worry about the fact you’ve only been at your position for 4 months. It doesn’t hurt to apply. The worst thing that could happen is you don’t get the job. You wouldn’t be any worse off than your current position.

Post # 4
2058 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

id def apply for this other job. u gotta do whats right for u and your life!!!! you’ll grow a fondness to the new kids u work with if you get this other job. that amount of travel is cray! even if they do pay petrol/mileage!

Post # 5
2057 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - British Columbia

Most employers would understand that proximity between your home and work is important to the employees.

I wouldn’t let your current employer know until you at least get a successful interview. If the prospective employer selects you for interview, be sure to highlight that you really, really love your current job and caring for kids; you actually feel bad for leaving the kids so soon. However, to ensure long-term sustainability at your job, you need to work a similar job located closer to where you live.

Sooner or later, you could burn out from commuting. Good luck and hope you get an offer! Those kids will be taken care of by someone else, hopefully as qualified and passionate as you are! (With enough given notice to your current employer for them to look for a replacement. They will understand!) Just be honest and you would do fine!

Good luck!!

Post # 6
3077 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

Other than the fact that you work in a different field than I do and drive about an extra 1/2 hour each way than I used to, I can COMPLETELY relate. I worked at a job an hour away (part time none the less) so I was driving for 10-12 hours a week and only working on average 28 hours. I was there for 3 months & realized that I couldn’t stand the drive for much longer. After a super stressful day, I browsed online for other available jobs, one jumped out at me that was 4 miles from my house and a bit of a promotion, and I applied. Within a week I was hired. I am SOOOOO much happier now that I have 10 hours of my life back!

I would apply without any mention to your current job. I think my boss was pretty shocked when I put in my notice but once I explained to him the fact that it was so close, it was a significant pay increase, more guaranteed hours, and benefits…he kind of had no choice but to agree that I was making a good decision. It caused no ill will at all.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors