4 months out and dress doesn't fit

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
655 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - SPRING VALLEY COUNTRY CLUB

I am so sorry that happend. I’d be crushed. So i understand. Not even with a corest?  Or a cincher?

Post # 4
458 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2015

@emviamama:  that’s not a fun situation to be in. I’d get to a seamstress ASAP to make sure you know what your options are. 

Post # 5
642 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Could you maybe have it altered to be a corest back rather than the side zipper?

If your zipper is only going about 1/4 of the way up, then you’ve got some inches you’ll need to lose. I can’t remember what it breaks down to, but for some reason the numbers 3-5 lbs equals an inch is sticking out (I could be super wrong though).

You can definitely do it though! Drink TONS of water – divide your weight by 2 and that’s the number of ounces you need to be drinking daily! Cut out everything that’s processed and eat really, really clean – no sauces, processed carbs, etc. Stick away from sodium – Mrs. Dash seasoning will be your new best friend (and it’s actually pretty good too!). Stick to lean protein and only have beef once a week. If you’re already doing some exercise, try to up it some. It’s all about burning calories and keeping your calorie intake low (but not lower than 1200 per day or so – you’ll just be slowing everything down and making the weight stick if you don’t eat enough).

Don’t despair – my wedding is three months out and my dress wasn’t fitting at the beginning of the year (stupid holidays and my lack of self control!). It zips now (it’s still kinda tight), but I’m finding that it’s getting better and better each week. Hopefully it’ll be ok when I have to take my bridal portraits next month… And get it altered prior to that….

I’m rooting for you! You can totally do it!!!

Post # 6
774 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2013 - Dalhousie Castle

You have four months to fit into it. Put the dress away, get into a healthy eating and exercise regime and you’ll get there. 

Post # 7
2081 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@emviamama:  Don’t panic. Four months is plenty of time to drop a few pounds. Between watching what you eat, exercising regularly, alterations and proper undergarments, I’m sure you will look perfect on the big day. Don’t panic…just use it as healthy motivation going forward. 

Post # 9
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

@emviamama:  I’m in the same situation. I’ve lost 15 lbs in about 3 months and I still have a ways to go. I bought my dress used so it was a size too small. 

Here’s what I’m doing. I cut out all soda, ice cream, etc.

I have a banana and yogurt for breakfast, a Campbells soup to go for lunch, a granola bar for afternoon snack and I eat whatever we’re having for dinner but I try not to take seconds. Then I have a cup of tea or coffee at night but don’t eat anything after dinner. (I’m in my 40s and have a thyroid problem so that is why my weight is coming off slower than usual but it is coming off!)

Post # 10
7630 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: January 2013

I think wearing thin shapewear like Spanx will help you out a bit. Maybe you’re just bloated today? 

Post # 11
4072 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

When I bought my dress, it fit perfectly. I weighed around 146lbs at the time. The only alteration I thought I would need was a slight hem, depending on the shoes.

I didn’t go in for a fitting until about a month before my wedding. I weighed around 154lbs. I could get the dress on, but we couldn’t get it to zip all the way. The seamstress said at this point she would need to see if she could take it out about an inch for it to fit. I was a bit horrified. She also assured me she could do so last minute, and I could wait. We agreed to wait, and we went ahead and did a hem.

I started to eat so clean immediately. Absolutely no pasta, no bread, little rice, no chocolate or sweets. I didn’t drink any alcohol. My meat intake went down significantly, and I tried to limit it to mostly fish. I ate vegetarian probably 3-4 days a week. I had a whole lot of quiche packed with veggies, and a whole lot of spaghetti squash.

So a week later I went in to see the hem, and what do you know, we could zip the dress up! In just a week I had lost a couple pounds. The dress was still far too snug and uncomfortable, but there was hope.

I cheated a bit over Christmas, but otherwise I kept up my super clean eating. Vegetables, vegetables, vegetables, and lots of it! I actually didn’t suffer at all. I ate plenty, but I cut out the mindless snacking I had been doing, and I ate as much as I wanted as long as it was healthy. And the food was good.

Less than a week before the wedding I went in for one last fitting to see if we needed to take the dress out, and we zipped it up without problems! I had gotten right back down to 146lbs.

So there is definitely hope for you, especially since you have time. Watch your portions, watch your snacking, stop drinking alcohol, and up the veggies. Also, drink a TON of water. It really fills you up. Half the time I was hungry, I realized I simply needed a glass of water.

ETA: Also, I didn’t incorporate any exercise. I wasn’t a slob, but I certainly wasn’t active. It really shows that weight loss has way more to do with diet than exercise. And everyone is right about losing weight the days before the wedding. I hardly ate the day before, and I certainly didn’t eat the day of. I just wasn’t hungry because there was so much more going on, and I forgot to eat!

Post # 12
2562 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2014

This is partly moving sarcasm on my part, but carring a bunch of boxes up and down the stairs (we just moved) helped me shed a few inches. 😛

I just started clean eating again and I feel lovely! It will definatley help.
Skip the carbs/gluten if you can – it makes a big difference!

Post # 13
928 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2015
Post # 14
1779 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

@emviamama:  Hi! I realized in December that my dress didn’t fit at all. I called in a panic and went to see their seamstress. She let the dress out as much as it would go (took about 2 weeks) and it fits really well now. I also bought a pair of Spanx just to give me some breathing room. I was in a tizzy but now feel relieved that it will fit for the wedding. It will be OK!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors