(Closed) 4 names on social security card?

posted 7 years ago in Names
Post # 3
3871 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Could you just make your make your middle name your ‘middle name + your last name’ then your new last name be your new last name?

Post # 5
3526 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

What exactly are you looking to do?

Keep your first name as your first name, your middle as your middle then your last name will technically become maidenname hislastname?

Let’s say your maiden name is Jane Kate Doe and your husband’s name is Smith, thus your new name is First Jane, Middle Kate, Last Doe Smith.

In Section 1
Your new name goes under Row 1.
Your maiden name goes under Row 2.

Also you will need paperwork legally allowing this change. I’m assuming you already did this on your marriage license? What you put on your Social Security card has to match your marriage license.

If you are afraid they will mess up the space between the 2 names on your new last name I would go in person because they let you proof it in person before they enter it into the system.

Post # 6
3564 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I have 4 names on mine and it’s fine–first, two middle names, and my new last name. 

Post # 7
7976 posts
Bumble Beekeeper

I’ve heard there’s a 26 letter limit on SS cards.

I cant’ remember where I heard that though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Post # 8
2906 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

You just have to fill out both middle names on the middle name spot (or both last names on the last name spot).

My husband was born with 4 names, so I know it’s completely possible to have all 4 on your SS card

Post # 9
1488 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I agree with @ellabee, my FMIL has 4 names (first middle1 middle2 last) and then when she got divorced from FFIL and remarried she hypenated her last name (first middle1 middle2 last1-last2) and all of her names are on her SS card.

Post # 10
411 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

You absolutely can!  I did it!  Right now on the card, I have my first name, my middle name, my old last name, my new last name – but the two in the middle are abbreviated because of their length.  The woman at the SS office was super happy to do it for me and loved it!  I had no idea that people working in that office could be so chipper and nice!

Post # 12
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2008

Just an FYI, I didn’t have to fill out any forms at the SSA.  I went in person, and they had a flowchart of which name change options are available in each circumstance.  I just told the agent at the counter which option I wanted – which was 4 names, with my middle and maiden last as my new middle names.  The process was super easy!

They didn’t shorten anything on mine, but I’m exactly 26 letters πŸ™‚  My mom’s is 27 and wasn’t shortened either.  It did take up two lines though, so I would think after two lines are filled, they might ask you to abbreviate. 

I did have to shorten on my driver’s license, since it was only one line.  So on that, my maiden last name got shortened to only an initial, but all other names were in full. 

Post # 14
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

I hyphenated mylast-hislast but the US government can’t actually put a hyphen on your Social Security card, so it turned out First Middle Mylast Hislast.

Post # 15
622 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2011 - Vandiver Inn

I may or may not know a little bit more than most about Social Security. Maybe I can help.

You can certainly have hyphens in your name and your name will be stored in Social Security’s records with a hyphen if you give it to them that way. However, the hyphen won’t print on your card. Insert some weird talk about standards here. No, I don’t get it either.

The character limits are 16 each for first and middle, and 21 for last name. However, there are ways Social Security can manipulate name to get as much as possible onto your actual card and they can and will do so.

Post # 16
216 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

@lox:

actually, I got my new social security card and they had my hyphen in my last name..

The topic ‘4 names on social security card?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors