4 prongs or 6?

posted 7 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
15 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: October 2007

They say a 4 prong tends to make a round brilliant look more square, but shows off the diamond more, while a 6 prong tends to make the ring look rounder.  And yes, I have heard it is more secure. I’d say its a personal preference and just go with what looks better to you.

Post # 18
373 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

I agree.   I have a four prong ring and when we were shopping for my band the sales person noticed one prong was already bent a bit (but I know I’m not as careful as I should be).  That said, now that I know that, I’m more careful and I think it will be fine.  I have lots of friends with 4 prongs who have had their rings for close to a decade now with no issues so I’d go with whatever you prefer!

Post # 19
80 posts
Worker bee

You should not have to worry too much with the 4 or 6 prong.  Nowadays, the diamonds are set prety well and sit on the grooves within the prongs.  The only difference is that a 6 prong actually retains the “round” look and the 4 prong actually makes it look a bit more square so that it almost appears to be a “cushion cut”.

Just get the ring checked out every 6 months to a year, so that the jeweler can check to make sure the diamond is still sitting right and has not shifted. Other than that, 4 or 6 prong is all the same.

Post # 20
520 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2010

The jeweler actually recommended we get a 4 prong one because 6 is just too much and it’s unecessary, since it just covers more of the diamond. 

Said that, my ring is platinum which is a bit hardier than gold.  And as everyone said, just stop by a jeweler to check the prongs every six months and you should be fine.

Post # 21
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

White gold rings are set with platinum prongs.  I have 6 prongs because I love the look.  I dont think it hides more of the diamond.  A good diamond will shine no matter how many prongs.  I think that quality of diamond hinders the shine more than a few estra prongs.

[attachment=910741,112865]

Post # 22
294 posts
Helper bee

i have a RB in a 4 prong setting, and the prongs are SUPER small to show off the diamond.  i’m slightly careless with my hands too, and have banged it a few times.  however, i haven’t had any issues with the diamond getting loose.  but it is insured, just in case.

Post # 23
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I think it really depends on the shape/cut and the size. I have a .78 carat sapphire, so not a diamond girl, oval cut in 4 prongs. I bent the prongs when I smashed my hand a few years back, sapphire still there, sent it in had it fixed. Got it back and a week later my sapphire straight up fell out, prongs were perfect. I had them shorten the prongs and reset it. A year later the sapphire fell out again. Had it reset again.

Should it happen again I’m having 2 more prongs put on, even though I’m not sure it’ll look nearly as pretty.

Make sure your ring is insured or has a warranty on it. We paid for a lifetime warranty on it. I get it checked every 6 months by a jewler. It really is worth the extra money. Everything that we’ve needed to have done to it has been covered.

Post # 24
60 posts
Worker bee

I am extremely clumsy, so I was very nervous with only 4 prongs on my round setting, but decided to keep them so the diamond would sparkle more. I haven’t had any problems (knock on wood) so far, and I bought the warranty just in case 🙂

Post # 25
315 posts
Helper bee

I have six prongs and while I do think it is safer, that’s not the main reason.  A round diamond begins to look square if set in four prongs.  I got a six-prong setting because the diamond kept its round shape!

Post # 26
5156 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I have a 4 prong ring for my round diamond and I was told to get it checked every 6 months like some of the other bees are saying. 

I have had it for (almost!) a year and have gotten it checked out once and am due for my next check soon but have had no issues. I haven’t heard much about whether size plays in as a factor..my ring is 1Ct. so I don’t know if a larger diamond would be more likely to slip out or not

Post # 26
107 posts
Blushing bee

Bump.

Post # 27
724 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

On my stone I got 4 thicker prongs after arguing with my designer about it.  I wanted 6 – 8 but he said no.  I did tell him though that I didn’t want to see him again so he better make the prongs thick.  And he did.  So, thats what I have is 4 thick prongs on a cushion cut.  

Post # 28
18 posts
Newbee

I prefer the 6 prong in this case but I also considered a four prong and here’s a side by side comparison. The stones vary from 2.2-2.4 carats. I also feel like the 6 prong made the ring seem larger.

Post # 29
188 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: June 2017

I had a 4 prong for 4.5 years and never had an issue

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors