4 week miscarriage, misoprostol not working after 4 doses

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
42472 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

calgaryweddingphotographer1:  I am sorry you are going through this. It must be very frustrating for you during this difficult time.

Here is some information about the use of Misoprostol:

http://www.healthlinkbc.ca/medications/content.asp?hwid=tw1277

You will see that it is not 100 % effective and that it can take up to 4 weeks to be effective.

If you have to have a D&C, you could ask the OB for a general anaesthetic. If that is not possible, you could request that they give you some midazolam (a relative of valium) with a side effect of giving you amnesia, so even if you do have some discomfort during the D&C, you won’t remember it.

Hoping things go well for you.

Post # 3
7664 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: July 2013 - UK

At this point, I think you need a D and C. If you were in England, this would be very simple to obtain… you simply turn up to A and E, say that you are pregnant and having bleeding/cramps, wait until you get an emergency ultrasound, and then sooner or later someone will offer you a D and C pretty much on the spot.

However, I realise that things can be different in the US. Wish I could help more. Could you get a referral?

Post # 4
1987 posts
Buzzing bee

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I took misoprostol with no luck for my first miscarriage and ended up having a D&C after several trips to the ER in horrible pain without everything fully passing. I’ve had two D&Cs and was fully out for both but there was very little pain afterwards. One D&C should not effect your future fertility. 

I would speak to your doctor about your fears and what you’re experiencing now. A D&C might be better for you physically and emotionally (not having to wait weeks). If you need someone to talk to, please, please feel free to message me. I’m so sorry you are going through this right now. You’ll definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors