(Closed) 4 year old too lonely to sleep?

posted 6 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
758 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

I remembering feeling like that as a kid.  And I remember my mom telling me that when I’m older I can share a bed with someone, then we went to the store and I picked out a sleeping buddy, this big stuffed bear that I could sleep with at nights to not feel so alone.  He lives on our dresser now ๐Ÿ˜›

Post # 4
2018 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: December 2010

If you’ve been letting him sleep in your bed until now (or vice-versa) and are just now trying to transition him, it’s going to difficult but impossible. If I read correctly, your boyfriend doesn’t live with you and that you too, sleep alone.

I suggest Dr. Ferber’s book, a night-light and a lot of willpower:) But it will be worth it. You need a break and your privacy. It may seem heart-breaking but you will both be better off once he has learned to sleep in his own bed.

I have raised two little boys, so I’ve definitely “been there done that”:)

Post # 5
1026 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

It doesn’t make it any easier to tell him to go to bed by himself, but this is perfectly normal developmentally.  Kids tend to do the major growth/development at the 6 month mark between birthdays.  Its really common for them to regress in one area or get more clingy while their body and mind are mastering a new skill. The best thing to do is to hang in there and stick to the not sleeping together.  There are some age appropriate books that deal with this you could read to him- I can’t remember the titles off the top of my head though.  Try an amazon search for bedtime books. A special lovey (stuffed animal) isn’t a bad idea either.  

Post # 7
1144 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@Omgbunnies:  DS is going threw this right now he will be 4 in November. I’m also pregnant with baby #2 and due in October so we are trying ti nip this in the butt right now. For about 2 weeks I just kept giving in because I was to exhausted to deal with it. He just wants to sleep on our floor but eventually ends up trying to snuggle up in Darling Husband and I’s bed. I personally feel our married bed is for Darling Husband and I only. I do not like the idea of letting kids sleep in our bed. Last night was the first night I had enough energy to tell DS no and guide him back to his room to sleep. It was a rough night but he didn’t cry at all he just kept saying he wanted to sleep with Daddy. He ended falling back asleep in his room and staying in his bed till morning. I checked on him a few times before he fell asleep and I think that helped him be ok with staying in his room.

Post # 8
4275 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I went through this for alittle while.

My mom got me a cat to cuddle with. It worked….

Although, I still don’t sleep as well when the husband is away. I keep the dog in the bed with me so that I can sleep. I guess because I had grown up with my cat being a form of comfort? I don’t know….

Post # 9
4693 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I used to do this when I was little, but it was because I was having nightmares.  My mother told me that I was allowed to come sleep on the floor next to her bed if I had a nightmare, but I was not allowed in bed.  I used to go in there to sleep, but I would end up going back to my own bed during the night.  I think the idea was that I would be less likely to go to my mom during the night because it was more comfortable to stay in my own bed.

Post # 10
2981 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

Aww this makes me feel so sad! It sounds like you’ve tried excellent solutions (I was in the process of suggesting some but went back and realized you’ve already tried them!). It seems like it’s something he’ll just have to grow out of. This morning’s good news may indicate just that! 

The topic ‘4 year old too lonely to sleep?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors