(Closed) 40+ bees – what advice would you give to your 32 year old self?

posted 5 years ago in 40 Something
Post # 3
2281 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

I would say, “Hey, 32, you’re just about to hit your stride. Enjoy it.”

I didn’t really realize at the time, but starting about 32, I stopped taking other people’s bullshit, I started taking much better care of myself, and I started really investing more and better in my relationships. It was like I finally had my feet under me. 

Post # 4
317 posts
Helper bee

@MissMeowMeow:  Great thread! I look forward to seeing some more responses to this.

@ProfessorGirl:  I definitely agree with you about no longer being wiling to take people’s BS at this age. I’ll be 32 in a few months and just recently developed a “zero tolerance” approach to a lot of things. I thought I was just being selfish but I’m glad to see that this is actually a positive thing.

Post # 5
2100 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

LOL stop putting on a brave face and sticking with the Jerk!!!!  You have tried for 10 years – time to move on and stop trying to make it work πŸ™‚  Stop trying to appear perfect to everyone – you are not and nobody else cares!

Post # 6
3241 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I would say “Look for job opportunites outside of science and teaching. Going back to school now will be way easier than it will be at age 42.”

Post # 7
869 posts
Busy bee

I think this is a great thread.  I’d love to read more responses!

Post # 8
670 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

Enjoy your 30’s this is the time you really shine.  Take care of you and be true to yourself.  Surround yourself with those that you really give a damn about.

Post # 9
2622 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

Yes more wisdom please! 

What did you worry about at 30, that at 40 now seems ridiculous?

Or what do you wish you had worried about more?

Post # 10
14498 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Good thread:

• Twinkies and Bud Light are not dinner
  • Dance everyday
  • Fight to put the truth out and not the spin
  • Get every candidate and boss a psyc screening *palmface* who in their right mind would ever think that would have been an issue

Post # 11
506 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Saving this for later! : )

Post # 12
4327 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 1992

Yes, BUMP! Must absorb wisdom!

Post # 13
1992 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I too would like to stop taking people’s BS… those people really don’t even matter huh?!

Good advice ladies! Thanks for the wake up call Tongue Out

Post # 14
1279 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@tksjewelry:  Bwaahahahaaa!! “Twinkies and Bud Light are not dinner” Good one. πŸ˜€

Post # 15
9955 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

At 50 “the Warranty” on your body begins to expire… (this seems to happen to everyone… even in some little ways)

SO… it is very important from 30 onwards to take care of yourself for the next 20 years… because what you do now will make a BIG difference later.

Stretch, Walk, Run, Bike, Hike, Swim, Ski, Skate… or do Yoga.  Anything and everything to keep every muscle & joint in your body moving and active.

Cause honestly it seems like you just wake up one day the otherside of 50, and you find you cannot do some of the things you took for granted such a short while ago

Lol, it does seem like just yesterday, I could sit cross legged, do the splits, or touch my toes.  And then poof it went away.

Post # 16
317 posts
Helper bee

@KimmySumShuga:  Agreed, their opinions really don’t matter in the grand scheme of things. I also like what unixfairy said about how they really don’t care about our quest to be perfect either. I wish I had realized that 5 years ago.

@This Time Round:  Thanks for bringing up those points. My Future Mother-In-Law who is in her 50s was trying to tell me this last year and I thought I would consider it in about 5-10 years, that was until I experienced something that felt like an ass sprain from raking my leaves last month. These little problems can definitely start sooner than you think.

The topic ‘40+ bees – what advice would you give to your 32 year old self?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors