40 weeks pregnant, midwife suggested…

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
3014 posts
Sugar bee

Katie-Didnt:  neither of those things are to jumpstart labor. EPO is thought to help strengthen and tone your uterus, though needs to be used longer than a few days. RRLT also needs to be used weeks in advance. There is no scientific evidence that either makes a difference.

I know you just want baby out at this point! I hope it happens soon!

Post # 4
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

mamadingdong:  Ditto.

Red raspberry is the only thing I am familiar with and I have read a rediculous amount on it. It doesn’t induce labour, that is a myth. What it does is tones the uterus to make contractions and labour more effective. It’s something that needs to be introduced earlier on (I perfer 30 weeks), and gradually increased.

I drank it with my first and had a 6-7 hour labour. I’m not saying it was the RRL that caused my short labour, but it very well could have contributed. I am starting my RRL tea regimen again next week in preparation for this LO!

Hopefully your baby decides to come soon! Walk lots and stay as active as possible! Good luck!

Post # 6
2696 posts
Sugar bee

Katie-Didnt:  Don’t stress too bad. Even drinking it now will provide benefits! Good luck with delivery day 🙂

Post # 7
2400 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Katie-Didnt:  I don’t know anything about either of those, but my mom used spicy food when she was ready to evict my siblings and swore by it every time. A few local restaurants even have deals on their spiciest meals- if you go into labor within 12-24 hrs after eating it, bring in your receipt & they refund your meal price! Probably wouldn’t work if you eat alot of spicy food already, but she never ate the stuff ever so that may be why it worked for her… 

Post # 9
11668 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Baby will come when he/she is ready!  Good luck! 🙂

Post # 10
753 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

urchin:  Can you get red raspberry leaf tea at the regular grocery store or do you have to get it at a health food store or something? Can you tell me how much you started with and how much you increased it by? Thanks!

Post # 11
8593 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2013

Katie-Didnt:  

I took both.  And nothing helped to bring on labor for me (I tried almost everything).  One of those (typical things) could work if you’re already ready to go into labor on your own, but nothing will send you into labor if your body isn’t ready.

My labor was induced and about 12 hours total.  I felt like I had a pretty easy (well, easier than I thought it would be) time pushing but I don’t know that I’d attribute that to the tea or not. 

Post # 12
161 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I drank a PITCHER of red raspberry leaf tea every day for the last 2 months of my pregnancy and it did not speed up my labor (37 hours) HOWEVER, I pushed my 9lb 2oz baby out in just under 45 minutes so it may have sped up the pushing part. I was also 9 days overdue and had tried every old wives tale for starting labor.  The only thing that worked was taking caster oil, which my obgyn recommended I try. I took just enough that it seemed to cause my labor to start, but I never experienced the laxative effects it causes. Good luck mama!

Post # 13
2696 posts
Sugar bee

Tomato22:  Depending on where you live, you can find RRL tea just about anywhere. Most health food stores would have it.

Just make sure it is red raspberry LEAF and not raspberry tea. RRL tastes nothing like a raspberry (unfortunately)!

I start with one cup per day or every other day around week 30. Other people start earlier, but I am comfortable starting then.

I think at the max, I was drinking 3 cups per day. I would just make a huge pitcher up and cool in in the fridge (since it’s easier to drink it cold in the summer).

Post # 14
1436 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

Go at it with your husband 😉 

Post # 15
2311 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

I can’t say that any of this stuff actually works until your body is truly ready. 🙁 And at that point, all this just helps speed it along.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  .
Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors