$400 rent increase? You must be joking.

posted 3 years ago in Home
Post # 3
1403 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  My friend in NYC had a $600 rent raise and she said she was going to move- they negotiated down to a $500 raise but she moved anyway.   One month later they found tenants to move in at the $600 raised price.  It sucks that some people can get away with it.

Post # 4
1343 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  Holy jeeze that’s a crazy jump! Mine went from 564 to 569 and I didn’t like it! I can’t imagine without some MAJOR upgrades there being a reason for that. Did she give you a reason? Oh my goodness! I’d be flying to zillow.com as fast as I could!

Post # 6
10384 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

Wow. I would try to negotiate, and use postings of properties that are asking $2k as your evidence that it is out of step. You should also be able to find data on the average year over year rent % increases in your area (for example, rents went up an average of 14.5% in the last 12 months in San Francisco). 25% is outrageous, unless it’s been many years since you have had an increase. They are probably trying to take advantage of the fact that you are pregnant. They peobably figure you’ll pay up instead of go through the hassle of moving pregnant.

Post # 8
3442 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Wow, I’m speechless.

I’m sorry you are going through this!

Post # 12
1116 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Have you looked into tenant laws in your area? That might not even be legal for them to raise rent that much (without being able to justify the need for the increase)…

Post # 13
9137 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 2013 - St. Augustine Beach, FL

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  If you keep the place in immaculate condition, invite them over and explain to them that you would like to stay there but the rent increase will force you to move.  Also bear in mind that moving costs $500+ and is more likely to be around $2K so is that less than the rent increase overall?

Post # 14
11379 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2012

@futuremrste:  this is exactly what i was thinking.

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  yeah, that is a bit crazy.  i would move just on principal.

Post # 15
1835 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@Mrs. Gremmlin:  I wonder if she planned to raise the rent all along but figured if she waited to the last minute that you guys would agree just so you don’t have to have a last minute move ..you never know.. People are nuts

Post # 16
23 posts

Do you not have rent control?  Where I live in Canada the province sets a legal limit for landlords to raise rent every year, and they can’t go above it.  This year it’s 2.5 percent. The only way a landlord can really get around it if the claim they’ve dramatically improved the property, and even then the onus is on them to prove it.  If my landlord did what yours just did I could take them to court and would definitely win!  

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors