(Closed) 45 Minute Drive too far?

posted 7 years ago in Logistics
Post # 3
1927 posts
Buzzing bee

Are the church and/or the venue near where most people will be spending the night?  If so, I think 45 minutes is fine.  But if you have to drive a long way to get the ceremony.. and then continue another 45 minutes away from your home to the reception just to have another long drive back home at the end of the night.. then I think you should reconsider. Also, you could always just provide transportation so people don’t have to go so far in their own cars.  We provided shuttle service from the hotel to the ceremony, then to the reception, and back to the hotel at the end of the night and it was great for everyone.

Post # 5
186 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

I’ve been to a couple weddings where there was a large distance between the ceremony and reception locations. One offered transportation, one didn’t. The one that did just had it run from the hotel to the reception and back. They asked for a count beforehand and got a school bus as it was a cheap option.

If you can, try to find a hotel in between the two that way at the end of the night, after people have been drinking, they don’t have to go all the way back. Plus, if you had a larger gap inbetween the ceremony and reception, people had a place to go.

Post # 6
167 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: April 2011

I’m wondering how far between the ceremony/reception venues is too far as well…personally, I would drive 45 minutes to go to the reception of a family member or dear friend. Perhaps you and your FI could burn a cd of your favorite songs for your guests to listen to on the way! : )

Post # 8
513 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I think we’re going to do the same thing, but for us the 45 minute drive will include a windy, slow moving mountain road back to the reception. The thing is, WE love it, and we were hard-pressed to find something that we can afford closeby… so how to remedy this? We’re going to do an earlyish ceremony, and then have a small cocktail hour (sans cocktails) at the ceremony location (we’re thinking cheese and fruits and some kind of fun drink) so people can mingle a bit, hike around and explore if they choose (it’s in a forest!), and not be rushed to the reception. Then we were thinking about making little activities for them to do when they’re on their way to the reception, like “car bingo” and a cd or book on tape or something (I also flirted with the idea of doing some kind of scavenger hunt, but i’m not sure about that yet). The reception wouldn’t be for a few hours later, that way folks can take their time getting there, account for getting lost, and maybe then it wont seem so weird to have the reception far away! I hope this helps!

Post # 9
1486 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Maybe you can provide transportation?, then it is not a big deal. 

The topic ‘45 Minute Drive too far?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors