$450 to sit at ceremony

posted 3 years ago in Ceremony
  • poll: What should I do about ceremony seating?
    Pay for the chairs : (125 votes)
    68 %
    Have a few select chairs for grandparents, etc. while others stand for short ceremony : (19 votes)
    10 %
    Change ceremony location : (32 votes)
    17 %
    Other - I'll explain : (9 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    1721 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I think if you are gonna have chairs, then you need them for everyone. If you aren’t super happy with the cost, then I vote for keep looking until you find something that works better for you 🙂

Post # 4
    133 posts
    Blushing bee

You definitely need a seat for everyone. If you don’t want to spend the money on seats for the ceremony, have the ceremony at the reception site.

Post # 5
    1112 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

We had benches for those who needed them and everyone else stood. For an hour long ceremony. As far as I know no one minded, for our reliious ceremony they would’ve been stading for a lot of it anyways.

Post # 6
    35 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: June 2013

We had a similar situation at our wedding. We chose to have 30 seats available for our 160 guests and GUESS WHAT? Our officiant had to ask people three times to sit if they wished to do so. You DO NOT need seats for eveyone.

Post # 7
    5432 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2014 - Ontario, Canada ♥ EDD- April 2016

We’re paying $350 for chairs for the same amount of time. It’s annoying, but I try to think of a positive way – like they’ll look really nice in photos and add to our decor. I didn’t feel right asking our guests to stand and didn’t want to only give certain people the option. If you can’t fit it into your budget then I think it would probably just be better to have the ceremony in a different location.

Post # 8
    49 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I’m not sure how much hay costs, but I’ve seen cute hay bale seating on Pinterest if it fits your theme! 

Post # 9
    224 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

I vote suck it up and pay for the chairs…you said you would only need the chairs for 30-45 minutes (assuming everyone shows up at the exact same time and you have a relatively quickie type ceremony) but you’re probably underestimating…and would you want to stand in one place for an hour to wait for the bride and groom and then watch the ceremony…especially if you consider roughly half of your guests will be wearing heels?? and then they have to walk over to the pavilion…are there places to sit for the cocktail hour if you are having one? if no, there is another hour guests are on their feet.

i know many people choose to not have chairs, especially for outdoor weddings that tend to be less drawn out than a full on mass…but my honest opinion is that it is rude to expect people to stand the whole time. you want your guests to be comfortable and enjoy themselves. i would be put off if i had to stand during the ceremony… 

if chairs are simply not in your budget, i would consider the pavilion as another option. 

Post # 10
    351 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2013

Chairs ain’t cheap. And there’s no tasteful way to seat SOME guests, but not all.

i did see a sweet picture on Pinterest of a couple who was married outdoors with friends and family standing around them in a circle. It was sweet and kinda hippie. It might not be your style (?), but it’s the only way I can think ofnto tastefully get away with no chairs.

Post # 11
    5697 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

Well I would have voted for two things if i was able, but it really comes down to, you need chairs. I would be so uncomfortable if I stood for 20 mins to watch someone’s wedding. Esp if it was in a park and I wore heels. So either locale change, or rent chairs or some sort of seating 

Post # 12
    7282 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I’d be pissed if was expected to stand for a 20 min ceremony in my heels/outdoors. First of all, its NOT going to be 20 minutes. Most guests try to arrive a sufficent time before the ceremony is supposed to even happen. Secondly, if there are delays to start time, it will far surpass 20 minutes. Either swallow the cost to get seats for everyone or find another cost effective solution where everyone still gets seated. No way around that. 

Post # 13
    67 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I’d be kind of annoyed at having to stand for a wedding unless I was in the wedding or your bff. 

How many people are there?

Post # 14
    Hostess
    8680 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

I’m not sure what type of wedding you’re having, but i’d look into alternative seating.. maybe benches or hay bales.

If those won’t work for you, you could ask local places [churches, schools, ect], if they’d be interested in loaning/renting you the chairs.

Post # 15
    11772 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: May 2013

Pay for the chairs.

I would be a seriously unhappy guest if I arrived 15 minutes early (like usual), then had to stand for 20 minutes for a ceremony, then mingling with other guests on the way back to our cars…

Post # 16
    10748 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

You really need to have seating. That is a long time to stand still in one place, dressed up and in heels. Just because someone is young and fit doesn’t mean standing is comfortable. Pretty much nobody likes it actually! I know it’s expensive, but it is a must. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors