(Closed) 4.7" heels & 2.5" wedges (reception)…how to hem the dress?

posted 4 years ago in Shoes
Post # 3
24025 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

@bee1000:  That’s quite a difference in heel height! Hmm…I guess meeting somewhere in the middle is good.  Or else (and this is something I just thought of it might be totally ridiculous)…is there a way to get your bustle to be buttoned just an inch or so higher than it would normally be without it looking weird so that the dress isn’t dragging on the floor?

Post # 4
501 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@bee1000:  I think you need to find shoes that are within an half inch or so of each other, or just pick one pair – there’s really no way to accomodate that much of a height difference with one hem (and I say this as someone who wears 4″ heels with work pants and switches to flats for commuting – lots of scuffed pants hems!).  Depending on the material and weight of your dress, you could create a quick fake hem for the reception with fashion tape – but most wedding dresses have too many layers for that.

Post # 5
185 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@bee1000: Quite a big difference in heel height. I would hem for the shortest length, but in your case that’s a whole two inches of difference and your dress may end up looking weird if you wore it with the 4-inchers. Like PP’s said, maybe get a closer combo (3.5 and 4.5/4.75?) and that may work.

Or if you want extreme… I had a friend who had her seamstress sew in buttons/snaps under the hem of her dress. She buttoned them up and raised the hem by about 6 inches for the reception, but her dress was unbeaded satin, fairly simple, and the rouching/pickups hid the folded-under look so I dunno if that could apply to your gown.

Post # 6
Hostess
11178 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@bee1000:  That is a similar differnce to what I had and honestly it was a pain during the reception as my dress was soooo long.

I would recommend perhaps adding a slip or poof to the dress during the reception to make it a bit shorter. There really isn’t a good way to hem a dress with a 2″ difference in heel height without it looking strange for one of the pairs of shoes.

The topic ‘4.7" heels & 2.5" wedges (reception)…how to hem the dress?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors