at a healthy size : (264 votes)
    69 %
    overweight : (113 votes)
    29 %
  • Post # 3
    1855 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

@MrsFuzzyFace:  It definitely depends on how you carry that weight; if you have good muscle tone, then 130 pounds on a petite frame can be ideal.  However, if you have little muscle tone, then you are more likely in the “skinny fat” category.  

Here’s me, 5’3″, between 130-135 (skinny fat, note the muffin top, and I remember sucking it in for this picture):

And here’s me today at 112 lbs (muffin top no more!):

Despite losing 20lbs, my overall shape doesn’t look like it changed drastically, but I’ve built muscle and lost over 5% body fat.  My BMI went from 23 to 19.8, so a huge improvement in fitness on the inside.  Where did most of the weight come from?  My stomach, arms, and boobs.  Waist is down two inches, boobs are down a full cup and band size, and arms are much leaner.  Since abdominal fat is thought to be the most dangerous, I feel much more confident in my level of health without the muffin top.  Just goes to show that being fit, no matter what the scale says, is more important than being “skinny”.

Post # 4
    2759 posts
    Sugar bee

It’s funny because that’s my current “target weight” goal for weight loss. I’m currently 268 and would LOVE to be 130 – especially since I do a lot of strength training and hope to build a lot of muscle. Sounds perfect to me 🙂

ETA: I am also 5’2″.

Post # 5
    7431 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

I think thats a healthy range. Like PP said it would depend on your muscle tone.

Post # 7
    2023 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

You can go to http://www.mybodygallery.com and look at real women the same size/shape as you are.

I agree with PPs, 5’3″ 130lbs could be a lot of muscle.  I cheered in college with some gals that were that size with six pack abs… but then I also know that if the 130 isnt muscle, but flab then the look of a person is completely different.  Muscle weighs more than fat. 

EDIT:  I just wanted to add that regardless of body build, most calculations would agree that 5’2″ or 5’3″ at 130 is within the normal BMI range – not overweight.

Post # 8
    1306 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I really think it depends. I voted overweight but bear with me…

I am 5’2 and weigh about 105. Up top, I am very petite (XS shirts, A cup boobs, no fat on face, arms, small waist etc.) but have some cushion below the belt in my butt and thighs (this is the only area I really gain/lose weight. I am currently stretching out a size 3, which is my “normal”). If I gained 25-30 lbs, My legs and butt would be out of control and I would consider myself (personally) overweight.

If you gain weight evenly or have good muscle tone, I think it is possible to carry 130 pounds without looking/being overweight.

Post # 9
    8487 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2014

I voted healthy. My best friend is 5’0″ and she looks best at around 130.

Post # 10
    79 posts
    Worker bee

I voted healthy – I’m just about that size. I’m 5’2.5″ and 131lbs. I’m a D cup and have fairly broad shoulders. Pants wise I’m somewhere between a 2 and a 4. My ideal weight would be around 127, but I haven’t been there in a looooong time. I still want to lose half an inch at the waist (I’ve already lost one). I was at 27.5 last year and now I’m at 26.5. I also work out a decent amount, so I’m getting fairly toned.

Post # 11
    1122 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

I think it is healthy-ish but it definitely depends. I am 5’5″ and 131lbs and think I would be healthier at 120-125 or even 130 but more toned. So I think 5’2″ and 130lbs is not exactly overweight but not ideal in my opinion. 

Here is the only full body photo I have saved on WeddingBee. I am on the right.

Post # 12
    246 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

I’m your height, 163lb, and still in the ‘mid-overweight’ category. Depending on your frame size, ideal weight for 5’3″ woman is 111 to 148lb. You look fantastic and very happy with your body; health is about a helluva lot more than weight! 

Post # 13
    1122 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

@inspiredcreations:  I completely agree! Congratulations on your weight loss, you look fantastic and I’m sure you feel it too!

Post # 14
    4049 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: January 2014

I’m nearly 5’4″ and 140lbs, and some sources say that would be just entering the overweight category, and others say it’s ideal. I’m happy with my body, but yes, I could lose another 15 and look hot (though I think I’m hot as it is).

So I answered based on my own body as a reference. I voted healthy, though a person at that weight could be all fat, no muscle and flabby, or ripped. Who knows!

Post # 15
    162 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

I am almost this exact size. I’m 5’2, 128. I would love to be smaller and I’m going to be attempting to lose 5lb in the next 3 months for engagement photos. I think I’m at around 126 in this photo, taken 4 months ago.

Post # 16
    116 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

It depends on the person’s build and composition. I am 5’2.5″ and when I was 130, I looked HUGE.  I have a small frame, so a small weight gain for me is a big difference.  I gained 4lbs over Christmas and that moved me from a 00 to a 0.  However, I know some lucky women who have the bone structure and/or muscle composition that makes 130 look teeny tiny.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors