(Closed) 5 miles from our house, SO SAD!

posted 7 years ago in Emotional
Post # 3
1254 posts
Bumble bee

Here’s the news story:

Fire on Simpson Road destroys house, months of wedding preparations

9/17/2010 9:01:48 AM

By Ken Hanson
The Post-Bulletin, Rochester MN

If it hadn’t been at a store being bustled and ironed, their daughter’s wedding dress would have burned up, too.

Jane and Mike Hedin are struggling in the aftermath of a fire that destroyed their house on Simpson Road, south of Rochester, on Tuesday afternoon.

“We want to move on, but it’s devastating,” Jane Hedin said. “I don’t know how many tears can be cried.”

Officials still haven’t determined the cause of the fire. Rain that fell late Wednesday night is slowing the investigation. There’s now two feet of water in the basement, so electrical systems can’t be checked.

Damage to the 10-year-old house and the shop next to it — Mike’s woodworking business — has been estimated by officials at $350,000. But the loss of articles for daughter Jenica Nyberg’s upcoming wedding seems to be bothering Jane more.

The wedding dress was indeed spared, but boxes of addressed cards, a centerpiece sand decoration, formal clothing to be worn by Jane and Mike, and cash for a deejay are all gone.

The family has three weeks to prepare again for the wedding, which is Oct. 9 at Hosanna Lutheran Church in northwest Rochester. The family doesn’t intend to reschedule it.

“We’ll have to re-shop for all that,” Jane Hedin said.

Pet dies in the fire

And there was another deep loss from the fire.

The Hedins’ 3-year-old cat, Bailey, didn’t make it out of the house.

Saving the cat was the first thing Mike Hedin tried to do after rushing back from Fleet Farm. An electrician had called him to report the fire.

He sprinted to a patio door near where Bailey usually laid down, but the room was filled with thick smoke. So he ran to the front door, which was locked. He kicked it in.

But, “I just got blasted out,” he said. “The smoke was unreal. And someone behind me yelled, ‘What are you doing?'”

Outpouring of help

The Hedins’ insurance company is paying for the couple to stay at a local hotel for awhile.

Meanwhile, numerous people have delivered food and other items.

“Friends are coming out of the woodwork, even strangers. It’s really nice,” Mike Hedin said.

A woman even loaned the couple a portable outhouse, which is helpful to Mike because he’s busy making cabinets in the shop.

The woman who delivered the outhouse didn’t tell the Hedins her name.

“The lady just said, ‘I’m not obliged to tell. I’m just someone who cares,'” Mike Hedin said.

Post # 4
1254 posts
Bumble bee

My home is littered with wedding stuff too and I would be devastated if this happened. I feel so bad for the family and kitty.

Post # 5
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

Ohhh poor Kitty.

Although it is sad she lost all of the things from her wedding..im a little saddened that that was discussed first before an animals/family members life…wedding things can be replaced…ESPECIALLY cards and froml parents wear and sand….seriosuly. I understand the bride would be stressed….but allllll replaceable.

Post # 7
738 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

Wow. That’s so sad. =[ I can’t imagine. But, yeah, @Baileyh: has it right. I wouldve mentioned the pet first

Post # 8
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2009

Um, I was thinking it was pretty callous to mention Bailey after the wedding stuff too.

That’s an awful thing to happen.

Post # 9
1 posts
Wannabee
  • Wedding: October 2010

I just happen to run across these articles, I dont even know how. I am/was that bride to be. I cannot help the way the story came across in print, but I was obviously more worried about my parents and their pet and belongings then our wedding items.  I still am heartbroken everyday about this devastating experiance for them. I do not need to prove anything but I just wanted to put this out there to protect myself, Im not heartless lol

Post # 10
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2009

@Jenica   Nobody is calling you heartless. We’re all upset with how the newspaper reported the article and how bad we would feel in the same situation. 

Post # 11
Hostess
18646 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

So sad.

The topic ‘5 miles from our house, SO SAD!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors