(Closed) 5-Month-Old Waking Every 1-2 hours

posted 5 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
1304 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2011

Can you look into hiring a night shift baby nurse for a week or two?  People usually hire them for newborns.  This will allow you both to catch up on sleep, and hopefully put the baby back onto a schedule (or diagnose if there is a problem that needs to be addressed).

Post # 4
3947 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Not to scare you, but could there be a medical issue going on?  Is she wheezing when she cries?  Is she uncomfortable in any way?

Maybe visiting a Dr. would be a good idea.

Post # 5
4897 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Does she have regular sleep/wake/nap times? A lot of the time sleep hygiene has a lot to do with it. 

Post # 6
5755 posts
Bee Keeper

Is she teething? Drooling a lot and or sucking on her fists or fingers?  Teeth hurt when coming in and it may be that. Feel around in her mouth for anything hard or lumpy…usually the bottom front, but could be almost anywhere.

http://www.mouthhealthy.org/az-topics/e/eruption-charts.aspx

They usually start around six months but some are earlier and some are way later.

Post # 7
1120 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2010

First, you need some rest. Do your parents live close? Could they take her for one night so you can have one good night of sleep?

Once you both slept, you need to discuss the strategy together.

I know I was resentful when we had a similar situation. DH has had sleep problems all his life and in order for him to be able to function at work, I was the only one who took care of our son during the night, while DH slept in the basement in order not to hear what was going on. Then when he told me or other people that he was tired, I just wanted to rip his head off because I was the one getting up all night long. So, I understand what you’re going through, believe me.

Ok, so arrange to get one night off if you can. In the meantime, see a doctor to figure out if there’s a health issue. Could be teething, or that she’s hungry – is she eating enough during the day? My son was ready for solids at 4 months, and like your daughter, he was waking up over 4 times per night instead of his usual 3. Putting him on solids helped us get back to 2-3 times per night.

I knowthat there are different theories out there on how to help a child sleep through the night. I know that CIO methods are deemed evil by many. But what I learned through all that is that every child is different, and that you have to find what’s right for your baby. Also, what works now may not work later and what doesn’t work now may work later.

So you just have to be flexible with your methods and find something you’re all comfortable with.

My son was 7 months when he started sleeping through the night, and 10 when he started napping like a champ. We read so many books and tried so many methods, but in the end, CIO was what worked. Of course you don’t put the baby in his crib and let him cry for hours without intervention, that’s not what CIO is about. There are different methods of doing this. I think it was harder us than on him. It worked very well and we now have a baby who sleeps very well, is well rested and in a much better mood all the time.

I think that whatever you try, you have to try it as a team with your husband – I know it’s hard because you’re both exhausted and see things differently. But it’s important that you come up with a solution together and that you implement it together. And take time to talk about it in a non stressful environment (i.e. when you do not have the baby with you to take care of. Schedule a parenting date.)

Good luck!

Post # 8
1855 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Could definitely be teething or even just a growth spurt.  My son would go through growth spurts about every 2-3 months where suddenly, he’d be up every hour or two wanting to eat.  This would usually last for about a week.  Is your LO hungry when she wakes or just looking for comfort?  

Post # 10
720 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2009

Can I just say I feel ya?  Why do I make babies who don’t sleep?  Miles cries a somewhat concerning cry sometimes but not for as long as your daughter.  Now it’s usually in the car.  Fun times!  He started waking up more frequently again about a month ago (not that he’s ever even come close to sleeping through the night).  I’m a sleep deprived Mama and my husband just sleeps through everything so I’m getting resentful since we BOTH work full-time.  This was different when I was on leave.  Anyway, I digress.  Here’s my 2 cents.  Have you tried Tylenol to see if it helps with teething discomfort?  And have you tried to increase how much/often she’s eating?  Both of my kids went through a hungry-all-the-time phase.  I didn’t realize it for a long time with my daughter.  I thought she couldn’t be hungry since she just ate but that was, in fact, the problem.  Caught on a little earlier this time around.  ๐Ÿ™‚  I’m going to have to lay down the law with Miles but am waiting until we’re back from vacation–so about another month.  Sigh… 

@mommytobee:  I totally understand about wanting to rip off husband’s head when he complains about being tired.  OMG.  Mine complains sometimes but the other day he said that he can just function on less sleep. Um, what?!  Yeah, YOU can function better with ME getting less sleep.  Ok, I’m done ranting.  ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 12
2196 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I haven’t read all the posters above, but she sounds exactly like my SIL was when she was a baby. Have you ruled out a bad bout of colic?

Post # 13
1120 posts
Bumble bee

@PandasWifey:  

Re: teething… It took a long time for my son’s teeth to come… I’d rub his gums with a teething gel and give him tylenol before putting him down for the night. It really helped.

Ferber-like methods really did work for us. My son was, like your daughter, able to cry for hours at a time.

One thing I read was to not let the baby cry for over 45 minutes – it applied for naps, it said to give up an wait until the next nap if it goes for over 45 minutes. I think this advice is also good for nights, although I never had to test it with my son since nighttime training didn’t take much time once we decided to try it.

On the first night, my son cried for about 30 minutes before falling asleep  on his own. We went to see him after 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15. And he fell asleep.

On the second night, it took 10 minutes. And every night after that, he hasn’t cried. He talks in his crib for a bit and then goes to sleep.

As soon as we started that, he also didn’t wake up as often during the night. We’d apply the same 5-10-15 minutes thing for when he woke up during the night, but found that he would go back to sleep after we went for the first visit to give him his paci and comfort him. After a few days he didn’t even wake up anymore.

Now he sleeps 11h nights. And at 10 months I tried the same for naps (until that point he was a really bad napper, couldn’t go to sleep unless I rocked him to sleep and would wake up after 40 minutes all the time and not be rested enough). Once nights were well established, I used the same method for naps and it took a bit longer but now he consistently naps for 1h30-2h. I had to apply the 45 minutes rule a few times.

I want to encourage you, CIO will be difficult, but really, for your daughter’s sake, a few hours (overall, not every time) of crying is not as bad as a chronic lack of sleep; and the same goes for the parents.

Good luck, and if you need someone to talk to about this, don’t hesitate to pm me! ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 14
1120 posts
Bumble bee

Sorry, just saw your last post.

Yeah, if she’s only babbling and wants company, it’s time for her to learn that night is for sleeping and all the playing and cuddling happens during the day.

She is not crying because she’s hungry or hurt, you would know it if it were the case, she would not start by babbling. Of course she cries harder when it takes time for you to pick her up, because she knows that you will come. Why wouldn’t she try?

If you want her to change her behavior, then you need to change yours, she has to reason to change otherwise.

And yes, you need to let your husband participate in decision making. His daughter too… As I stated before, you two have to work as a team and find solutions that work for you both.

Post # 15
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2005

As I understand it, you don’t want to start a CIO process until they are older, at 5 months they still need a trust bond.  If she’s arching her back it could be gas, she could also be going through another growth spurt and/or teething.  I would take her to a doctor to see if they have any suggestions.  Let them know if you are BF’ing or if she’s a formula baby, she may need to change her diet if it’s gas.  I guess every baby is different so it’s so hard to tell, good luck to you!

Post # 16
313 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2005

I have a quick question, we’ve recently been going through the same thing and we think we’ve found our answer.  We wrapped her in a snuggi, you can get ones from Summer that are stretchy and comfortable and easy to tuck her in.  We had found that our 4 month old girl would rub her eyes in her sleep and wake herself up from it, if we took that away from her by wrapping her up, she slept all through out the night…last night…we are still working on this theory but I think it’s helping.  For the first time in several weeks she slept 9 hours straight and didn’t wake up once.  So have you tried the snuggi?

The topic ‘5-Month-Old Waking Every 1-2 hours’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors