5 pets and a baby in the near future… How will I do this? Lol

posted 3 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
418 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

I don’t have kids, but I do understand what it is like to have a lot of pets! We are not allowed near a shelter, or we will take a furry one home. We currently have 2 dogs and 3 cats that we adopted over the course of 4 years together. The dogs are medium-sized. At our max, we had 3 dogs and 3 cats – but my SO’s pomeranian passed away. 

I honestly think that once you are doing the dog/cat routine, adding to more to the mix doesn’t really change things all that much. 

If I were you, I would reconsider waiting on the wolfhound, though. Just having 1-2 SMALL dogs and a cat would be a breeze with a baby. Why don’t you wait until your child is a little older and then you can adopt the wolfhound, and they can grow uptogether? 🙂 That would also keep you from having to get a kitten that the wolfhound would need to get used to, as it sounds like you’d already have one of your own!

But if you want to get more pets, have the space for it, and think it’s do-able, more power to you!

Also – I’m sure as a vet tech, you hear/say this a lot, but please consider rescuing and adopting over buying!

Post # 4
2593 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I want a great dane, but I do not want a huge puppy that is unaware of its own size while I have infants/very small kids.  Clumsy dogs and clumsy babies, IMO, don’t mix.  DH and I are currently TTC, so we’re holding off on the Dane(s) for the time being.  I agree with the PP that if you are planning on adding a baby to the family, I would wait on the wolfhound, especially since there is a possiblity of adding pets to the family should his parents pass away.

Stick with the dog you’ve got.  Have baby/babies.  If need be, add in-laws’ pets to the mix, (hopefully you won’t need to for many years, but NONE of us are promised tomorrow).  In a few years, if you feel comfortable adding a huge dog to the family, do so.

I say this because if you get the wolfhound, a kitten, the baby, and the in-laws’ pets, and you are too overwhelmed…what happens to the wolfhound, the kitten, the chihuahua, and the in-laws’ cat and dog?  We know you aren’t going to rehome the baby, (not saying you should!), but I don’t think it’s fair to bring all those animals into your home and then realize you bit off more than you could chew and suddenly those animals are out of luck and end up rehomed or worse, at a shelter.

Post # 7
137 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I’m a strong believer of only owning as many pets as you can afford simultaneous emergency care ($5-7k+ each) for. Add on to that the expenses of a baby. If you can afford it (money & time), go for it! Only you and your FI know the answer.

Post # 8
980 posts
Busy bee

I grew up with 3 cats and a dog which then became 3 cats and 2 dogs.. Now 2 dogs 1 cat…

I think it’s doable. Tough in terms of vet bills and things, but if you’re committed which you sound like you are then it should be all good. Just comes down to having a good routine. 

Post # 9
2627 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

As another PP pointed out pets also have expenses.  Honestly if you think your baby is in the next couple of years and youll inherit those animals in the next couple of years as well I would not get the irish wolf and additional cat.  

Get them once you established yourselves with a child and determined ability to afford all the costs with 6 animals as well as the time commitment above having a young child.

Post # 12
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Silly_love: My sister is pregnant with twins and has two young daughters. She also has 3 dogs. She used to work but after the twins are born she is going to stay home. She isn’t worried about the zoo because it will be her only “job.” I think she’d be more concerned if she had to pay for human and doggy daycare.

Post # 15
353 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

@Silly_love:  I have 2 kids (12 & 9) 1 puppy (6 months) a kitten and 2 older cats. Between the husband, kids, dog and cats there is never a dual moment in our home. Even though they all drive me a little nuts at times I honestly wouldn’t have it any other way! Oh and my hubby and I are talking about adding to our family sometime next year. Good luck and enjoy the craziness!!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors