5 week early birth?

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 3
148 posts
Blushing bee

My friend gave birth 5 weeks early. Her baby was a preemie, but otherwise healthy. Spent 2 weeks in NICU gaining weight, being observed, etc. But has no major issues and is now a healthy normal 2.5 year old! I wouldn’t worry about it.

Post # 4
5460 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

The threshold of viability is around 24 weeks.

Full term is 37 weeks.

The “estimated due date” is 40 weeks after your last menstrual period.

So, if she’s 5 weeks early from her EDD, then she’s 35 weeks pregnant, right?  The baby would probably need to be monitored closely but a positive outcome is statistically likely.

Post # 5
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

5 weeks early is generally ok. Of course, not ideal, but typically not critical.

The baby *may* have breathing issues and need to be in an incubator for a little while. Or he/she may be 100% fine and need very little support.

Sending positive vibes to your cousin! I hope all goes as smoothly as possible!

Post # 7
1472 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

The baby (and mama) will likely spend a few days in the NICU, but 35 weeks isn’t too scary. 

Post # 8
432 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

Hoping everything goes well for your cousin! 5 weeks is not that bad. My daughter was born at 35 weeks and spent almost a week in the nicu because her lungs werent 100% developed. She was under an incubator for a day or so then they did a nasal cannula for a few days after that until she was breathing on her on. 

Now with that being said, the doctors told me that at 35 weeks they could act 2 ways: preemie or full term. It all depends on the baby. 

Post # 10
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

Real contractions? It could just be Braxton Hicks. Hopefully it will be nothing, and you’ll see her at her shower tomorrow!

But even if she delivers, 35 weeks is barely preemie–the baby should be fine or almost fine!

Post # 11
2179 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2024

@peachacid-

My sister delivered at 31 weeks, the baby was 2lbs at birth and immediately went to the NICU. She spent 4 weeks in the NICU and today is a beautiful HEALTHY 1 year old niece that is a miracle baby!

If she is in labor and they can’t stop it then the NICU is going to be a long road. It’s overwhelming for sure. I would bring the gifts you brought but maybe you could give them to her mom for keeping until everyone knows the baby is OK.

Best of luck to them, I wouldn’t wish this on anyone, I’m not saying that to scare you but I went through it with my sister so I know how draining it is, I hope everything works out.

Post # 12
432 posts
Helper bee

@peachacid:  Take them with you! If you can and your cousin does have the baby, take the clothes to her at the hospital.

Post # 13
432 posts
Helper bee

@Bazinga:  They won’t stop labor at 35 weeks. And it all depends on the baby, delivering at 35 weeks the baby has a better chance of avoiding the NICU

Post # 14
2696 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@peachacid:  Her being petite will have no effect on the outcome at all.

..and don’t be superstitious! This is in no way your fault…

Post # 15
2179 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2024

@ecrowe1218 Good to know, I know they tried to stop my sisters but couldn’t, plus her BP was near fatal.

Post # 16
3128 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: December 2017

I was born at 32 weeks. I spent a month in NICU but am a realatively healthy adult 🙂 My mom didn’t go to term with any of her babies..the rest were all born at 36-38 weeks with no issues! I would assume 35 weeks would be fine.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors