(Closed) 5 weeks, 800 miles, & my dress is too big

posted 8 years ago in Dress
  • poll: What should I do to fix a too big dress?
    Fly back to NY and hunt down a last minute tailor : (6 votes)
    38 %
    Eat more. : (5 votes)
    31 %
    Use tape/pins/etc to hold dress in place (please describe below) : (1 votes)
    6 %
    Other (please describe below) : (4 votes)
    25 %
  • Post # 3
    1518 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2010

I would take it to a local tailor that you can trust or even a bridal shop near you

Post # 4
    683 posts
    Busy bee

Can you get the dress shipped back to you and get the tailoring done in Chicago? The shipping/tailoring in Chicago would still probably be less than NYC tailoring pricepoints- certainly less than a flight out to NYC.

Post # 5
    2634 posts
    Sugar bee

I’d find a local tailor/seamstress – I’m sure in Chicago you shouldn’t have any trouble finding one.

Post # 7
    2889 posts
    Sugar bee

I would suggest changing up your workout to work the muscles in your chest and shoulders more in an effort to “bulk up” and keep the dress up. I would also go shopping for a padded strapless bra. This may sound stupid but it really is the difference of my dress staying up with the push up bra or falling down with a more flattening strapless bra. Also, maybe an easy fix could be having a tailor put a band inside the dress if it does not already have one. My dress has a strap that is secured tightly around the rib cage area with an adjustable hook, tightening this band also makes a difference in keeping the dress up. The band would most likely be something you could add at the last minute if you still have this problem next time you try on the dress.

Post # 8
    671 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2018

Definitely ship it to your current home and have it altered again ASAP.  Then ship it back right before your wedding and just have it steamed prior to the big day.  You need this dress to fit like a glove in order for you to feel comfortable and confident when you get married.  You do NOT want to feel self-conscious or spend your entire day adjusting the dress.  That will be hugely annoying and distracting.  🙁 

Post # 9
    2201 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: August 2010

I’d hate to suggest more alterations, since the cost has skyrocketed compared to the cost of the dress. I like the band option that slicey19 suggested. Or double stick tape. Or could you add removable straps? That way if the dress loosens up during the reception, you could add a halter or something else to help hold it up?

That said, I would just eat more 🙂

The topic ‘5 weeks, 800 miles, & my dress is too big’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors