5 weeks and spotting – normal??? (TMI)

posted 3 years ago in Pregnancy
  • poll: Did you have spotting during the first trimester?
    Yes, I had a lot of spotting : (8 votes)
    24 %
    Yes, I had a little bit of spotting : (15 votes)
    44 %
    No spotting for me! : (11 votes)
    32 %
  • Post # 3
    561 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

I’m a little behind you (only 4weeks) but I read tthat it is normal and shouldn’t bad a concern (yeah right) unless you have painful cramping. hopefully someone else who has been through it will post soon. 

Post # 4
    435 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: January 2010

@Glasgowbound:  i didn’t have it, but it is normal and you should only worry if you get cramps and it starts to turn red.

Good luck! and try not to let it worry you

Post # 6
    3032 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

Yes I had spotting prob at 6 weeks and was sobbing like a baby (hubs was away and out of cell range.)  No cramps and it didn’t last long but scared the bee-jezus out of me.  I called the doc and was told it’s normal, put a pad on and if there was no clots and it didn’t “fill the pad like a normal period” I was fine.  

Post # 7
    1208 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: January 2004

I started spotting at 5 weeks and it was on and off (some days I would, some days I wouldn’t) with no cramps until 6 weeks when I miscarried. But a friend of mine spotted for several weeks intermittently in her first trimester and she is now 15 weeks and doing fine.

I think bleeding in any way during pregnancy is worrisome but there isn’t anything you can do but wait it out.  I hope it all clears up – good luck.

Post # 8
    1996 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

Totally normal! I had so much that I didn’t realize i was pregnant for another month!! If it turns red call your ob. Congrats! !!

Post # 9
    667 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I had some spotting around 6 weeks. Only for one visit to the bathroom, it was red but no associated pain. My midwife told me not to be concerned if there was no cramping with it 🙂 

Post # 12
    339 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@Glasgowbound:  I had a few bouts of light spotting early on in my pregnancy and I freaked out too! Rushed to the dr both times expecting to be told there was no baby or it stopped growing. Well my little one is 20 weeks growing and kicking me in the belly as I type so please don’t stress! Unless it’s accompanied by cramps and such theres nothing to worry about. Keep us updated!

Post # 13
    279 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

@Glasgowbound:  I had bright red spotting that I first saw at 5 weeks and went on to miscarry that pregnancy.

I also had bright red spotting that I first saw at 5 weeks that continued almost every two weeks for no apparent reason the whole first trimester … and I’m a healthy 17 weeks with this baby.

My doctor’s answer was always yes, it can be normal … and yes, it can be a sign something is wrong so always call.  I called every single time i had the spotting and every time they let me come in to do a hb check.  Only once was it so much that we headed to the er.

Old blood is always better than bright red but I would still call the doctor!  If nothing else you get an early ultrasound 🙂

Post # 14
    2527 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

@Glasgowbound: i just saw your FF chart this morning and i am so sorry! *big higs* i hope you’re doing ok and i have my FX that you get your rainbow baby. i saw your comment on another thread about being out of the country and i’m really glad you didn’t have to go through it on the plane or in a foreign country.

Post # 15
    3394 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2014

@Glasgowbound:  I had spotting in two pregnancies. Bright red though. One was just on TP and the other was enough for a pantyliner. :-/  But both resulted in successful pregnancies. 🙂 Scary though!

Post # 16
    667 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

@Glasgowbound:  Im so sorry to hear your sad news. Hope you are doing ok x 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors