5 weeks pregnant…..have to wait 6 more weeks for first appointment

posted 2 years ago in Pregnancy
Post # 2
1670 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2016

I don’t think this is right, just based on pregnancies in my family and among friends. Is there somewhere else you can go?

Post # 3
2566 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Even Planned Parenthood would see you sooner than that…

Post # 4
7281 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

That is fairly common. My first appointment wasn’t until 12 weeks. There isn’t anything they can really do this early in pregnancy. You can’t hear the heartbreat with a doppler until 10+ weeks. Some places have you come in early for a dating ultrasound if you have an irregular cycle and don’t know how far along you are. but otherwise, there just isn’t much, medically speaking, to justify an appointment.

All that said, if this practice isn’t meeting your needs (medically or mentally/emotionally), there is nothing to stop you from contacting another practice. Each one has different ways of handling things, so another practice may be more than happy to bring you in sooner for an appointment.

Post # 6
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I went for the first time at 8 1/2 weeks, anywhere between 8-9 weeks seems to be the norm for initial appointments. I would start calling different doctors offices, because you will definitely be able to see the heartbeat by 8-ish weeks, which is a huge relief! I don’t think you have to go in for an official pregnancy test, so to speak, unless you’ve had problems with fertility? Just trust the home test for now and find a place that’ll take you earlier.

Post # 7
282 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

This is common, with both my kids they didn’t want to see me until I was 10 weeks.  This is the standard amongst my group of friends as well.  If you have specific questions you need answered before then or any problems they should be able to either answer then over the phone or see you earlier.

Post # 8
2566 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

ashylula:  Are you taking prenatals?  If not, you may want to mention that you want to start on them asap.

Post # 9
2614 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

ashylula:  My official first apt is at 9w and 3d which was disappointing as I’ve suffered from recurrent mc and they know this. I opted to go for weekly private scans at a fertility clinic I’ve been attending (at a high cost!) for peace of mind. Is there an option to get another private scan done at approx 8 weeks? 

Post # 10
3635 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

You can always call and talk to a nurse at the office about any questions you have.  

My first appt was at 9 weeks, and that was just sitting down with a nurse and getting all kinds of information from us.  I didn’t actually see the OB until 11 weeks (well, I thought 10.5).  They schedule your first OB visit and transvaginal ultrasound for 9-10 weeks usually, I was just out of town.  

I did end up in ER (not pregnancy related) at 5 weeks, where they had to do a blood test for pregnancy, but that was way out of the ordinary. 

Post # 11
4410 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

I’m 19 weeks pregnant right now, and when I called the doctor I also expected them to have me come right in for an “official” pregnancy test, but they, too, just trusted my home pregnancy test results. 

My doctor’s office did have me come in for the first time at around 8 weeks, though, for a dating ultrasound. And then my first appointment with the doctor was at around 9 or 10 weeks, I think. 

If I were you I’d ask if they can do a dating ultrasound. That’s important so they can establish/confirm the due date. My understanding is that doing it around 7 or 8 weeks is more accurate than doing it later. 

And by the way, congrats!! 

Post # 12
1531 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

Not sure where your located but i was in and even had my first ultrasound at 8+3 weeks so that doesnt really sound right to me. 

Post # 13
7098 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

Mine does an US at 8 weeks. I personally would not want to wait that long to make sure everything was going okay.

Post # 14
506 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

ashylula:  I went in at 6 weeks, the week after I found out I was pregnant, but from what I understand, waiting until 10+ is normal. My original OB/GYN wanted to wait to see me until I was 10 weeks, but I was absolutely freaked out (unplanned pregnancy) and wanted to find a different doctor closer to home anyway, so I got lucky and was able to make an earlier appointment with a new practice.

Anyhow, I think you should trust your home pregnancy test and tell your parents anyway. I don’t see any reason not to tell them.

Post # 15
1532 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Maybe you could ask to come in for a consultation with the doctor. Just to answer your questions about pregnancy. It makes sense to me that they don’t wan to do any unneccesary tests. But if you have questions, there should be a way to make sure you get them answered.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors