5 year Anniversary Ring

posted 2 years ago in Rings
Post # 2
2219 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 1987

I bought a diamond from Blue Nile and returned it because the centre was dark even though the stone was certified as excellent cut by the GIA.

Blue Nile just use a range of cut angles and certification rather than examining the stone itself.   In fact often the company doesn’t actually see the stones but gets just has an inventory that is basically a list of diamonds from other companies.  When you choose a diamond one of these other companies sends you the diamond. However not all ‘excellent’ cut diamonds have good light return.  You actually need a gemologist to check the stones too.  

The best cuts I have seen on Weddingbee are from Brian Gavin who is a diamond cutter and thus has a reputation to uphold.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by  .
Post # 3
3368 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 1997

I’ve ordered multiple times from Blue Nile and have always been very happy with the products. DH ordered my upgrade from Blue Nile. While it is true that many times they do drop-ship, almost all of their stones are GIA graded with the certificate online so you can compare angles yourself and determine the HCA on a round stone. Additionally, their return policy is excellent.

But diamonds aren’t the issue here, as you are interested in a blue topaz. It looks like a gorgeous ring, and I would feel comfortable ordering from Blue Nile. Just make sure you double check measurements and specs on the products and call them if you have any questions. They were extraordinarily helpful when we were shopping. Good luck!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors