5 year plan?

posted 2 years ago in Relationships
  • poll: Do you have a plan?
    Nah, we take it day by day : (5 votes)
    16 %
    We talk about our dreams but not how to get there : (1 votes)
    3 %
    We have certain timelines for the big things but not the little steps along the way : (20 votes)
    63 %
    We have a very clear cut idea of every step we want to take to get where we want and when. : (6 votes)
    19 %
  • Post # 2
    431 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2012 - Centro de recepciones Los Incas

we have a solid 5 year plan. im finishing my masters ( i have to defend my thesis still)  in a few months and then we are moving back to the USA, we are also waiting on my husbands visa…. then once i get back to the usa i plan to stop modeling since im already 26, and go into a ph,d program which will be 5 years. then when i finish that we will have kids…. im 26 and hes 31 so we arent in any rush but we do have a 5-10 year plan. my husband is a business man so in hte usa hes going to try to get in banking because my father is a banker or work on wallstreet since well be moving back to long island where i grew up

Post # 3
    144 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2015

We had a general 5-10 year plan. FI graduates in May, and would be starting his career then. I would switch career paths (current one is not something that makes me happy, and it’s not in my degree). We would save up a house, and hopefully buy that in 3 or so years and then try for kids. I would stop working, focusing on raising the kids. I would be a SAHM until the youngest started kindergarten,  then go back to work.

Post # 4
    381 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

We have had a plan ever since we started dating. We wanted to get married after 4 years of dating, which we did. Our plan was to get into a house by the time we were married but could not find anything we liked so we waited until after we were married. Luckily my husband managed to get a million raises so we got into our perfect starter home. Our plan is for me to get out of school next summer and start working full time. We want to start trying to have kids 5 years after marriage. Our plan is to take a big trip to Europe before kids. We also want to take a big hike into the middle of no where and camp for a week or so.

Once we have kids I want to work part time and my husband plans to work full time. His plan is to be in a C-level position within the next 10 years. Once our kids are in school full time I am not sure what I will do in concerns to work. I would really like to just work part time so I can manage the household and help out at our kids schools or do volunteer work with an organization.

We have always made these plans very loosely because we know that chances are things won’t go according to plan. I think it is good to have a plan but also good to be realistic and know that things might not go quite according to plan!

Post # 5
    2704 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: January 2015

nessdawwg:  First of all, good for you! Judging by your post I wouldn’t have guessed you’re too young. It seems like a very well thought out plan. My FIs grandparents did pretty much what you’re describing and LOVED it! They had a couple little cottages along the lake and from what I’ve been told they had lots of fun. Running your own business can be stressful, so it’s great you have the education to back it up. My FI is super handy like yours, it’s nice to have that skill, especially when you get your own property.

We have a rough 5 year plan. It started at the start of this year;

– We got engaged and bought a house and did a ton of renos

– I grauated school, and got hired for my career (yay)

– FI will be doing upgrading for his career and working for a university by the winter

– Married Jan of next year

– More house renos (insulation, framing basement, redo kitchen)

– Road trip out east next summer

– Next winter TTC

– Start family and drop down to PT, FI should be full time contract at this point

I’m excited, we have lots of plans especially for our new home… this is where it comes in handy to have a FI who knows how to build! It saves us a ton of money, he enjoys it, and it’s done the way we want it. Looking forward to the next few years!

Post # 6
    1400 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2014

We don’t have a “plan” per se, but we do talk a lot about how to achieve our goals. He’s 26 and I’m 24, we got married in June, bought a house last year, and neither of us plan on furthering our education, so we don’t have those to think about anymore. The tricky thing is that we both work in a very unpredictable industry. We’d love to start having kids in the next 5 years, but first we’d like to achieve a certain level of success in our careers and do a bit more traveling. We haven’t decided how we’re going to handle child care; we’re both pretty open minded about it. So pretty much we’re going one step at a time, but encouraging eachother to stay on track (:

Post # 7
    4043 posts
    Honey bee

We have a very loosely defined 5 year plan. Some things we have accomplished, other we are still workinng on and a few things are we are re-evaluating. In general terms, our are:

• Get married (check-did that last August)
    • Buy/build our first home (check-finished this past June)
    • Pay off my student loans (only 5 more months left)
    • Pay off his student loans (about 3 more years)
    • Get a promotion in my job (Check)
    • Get a promotion in his job (hoping next year for that)
    • Take an East Coast trip (Philadelphia, New York, Boston and DC)–2016
    • Take a trip to Europe (Spain, France, Italy, Germany and London)–2017
    • Begin TCC–Feb/Mar 2018
    Post # 8
    7075 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

Well aside from a baby (we’re TTC atm) we’ve already been through most of the major milestones, but we never really “planned” anything. We knew it would happen eventually but there was no specific timeline.

Post # 9
    549 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2017

We also sat down and had planned out our next 5 years. I’ll get my Masters and start my career. She’ll graduate with her bachelors and get a full time job, hopefully in social work. We’ll get married then purchase a home and TTC after she works for 1 calendar year and we save her salary. Then she will stay at home and only work a small part time job (<10 hrs per week) for socialization & play money.

Our plan is kinda loose to leave us room to live. There’s a chance we won’t hit ever deadline and that’s OK. I have peers who stress so much over not hitting every deadline goal in their life’s plans.  

Post # 10
    202 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2014

Our 5 year plans include us getting the heck out of Southern California and moving to the south of Seattle. I’d like us to be talking seriously about having a family next year, but he’s a number guy and our finances might worry him then. Next year I am turning 30 and I want to start my family asap…so it’s a big deal to me…money can always be made and people are never really 100% ready for children. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors