$50 for a plate of cheese and crackers…..(rant)

posted 3 years ago in Food
Post # 3
Hostess
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Do you have to get ready there? What about getting ready in your hotel room instead?

Post # 5
Hostess
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

@Sweet_Tea:  Totally crazy.

When searching for some venues I seen some pretty crazy pricing. The first place I fell in love with was a B&B, they were perfect in everyway EXCEPT they wanted to cater for you. They wanted to charge me $30per person for the most horrible meal choices [I’m talking hamburgers, brats, hotdogs, sloppy joe]. I tried so hard for them to let me cater in something else but they refused. Because of this, I decided not to go with them.

Post # 6
294 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2019

Very crazy,  yep if anything is mentioned “Wedding” related prices sky rocket. 

I would go and buy my own crackers etc.  

Post # 8
666 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@Sweet_Tea:  Nice markup, right?  My venue had about the same.  And they didn’t let you bring in any food/drink, so if you wanted anything you had to order.  I thought about getting ready at our hotel and just get subs and drinks but we didn’t do that.

I ended up buying one of our venue’s “trays” and asking for them to split it between the girls’ ready area and the guys’ area.  They did that no problem.  So it saved the cost of one tray and was plenty of food.  We didn’t really eat much, and I ended up asking the staff to add the stuff to the cocktail offerings just so it would get eaten.  

Post # 9
10748 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2014

Oh, you better get used to it! Wedding = stupid markup.

Post # 11
3756 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

I’m doing cheese and crackers and veggies for an appetizer for the cocktail hour and it’s $6.25 per person…. $812.50 for cheese and crackers and veggies… it’s out of control.

Post # 13
4698 posts
Honey bee

@Sweet_Tea:  Ooohhh this happened to me, DH and I asked the hotel to send up some cheese and crackers and a bottle of cheap wine to his parents’ room as a welcome gift from us, they charged me freakin $75 for it!!! I grumbled and paid it but I was so cranky. 

Post # 14
9529 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

Actually, our caterer does mostly corporate catering but has started to do more weddings and they use the exact same pricing and menu options. It’s one of the reasons I picked them! Our two meat, 2 veg, salad and roll buffet was $14.00/person which was very reasonable. But they wanted to charge $13/gallon for lemonade/iced tea and $7.50/person for cheese/veggie tray. Therefore, we chose to do the drinks and cheese/veggies ourselves! I think it’s the easy stufff like that where they have higher profit margins.

Post # 15
1208 posts
Bumble bee

Ho.Ly.Crap.

I work in a hotel and last summer we had a bridal party getting ready upstairs when I was on. I suprised them with 2 (TWO!) bottles of sparkling wine to say congrats and have a blast, just because I’m a romantic. $50 for cheese and crackers??!? Do you have ANY idea how many free cheese plates, or chocolate covered strawberry plates I’ve gifted people over the years??? I call BS!

Post # 16
5421 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2014

@Sweet_Tea:  I don’t know, I don’t think $50 is that bad TBH.

Most hotels where I live would charge around £5/$8 for crackers and cheese; meaning, enough for 10 people would likely cost around $80.

Obviously it’s cheaper to buy your own, but hotels/restaurants etc are businesses and need to make a profit; plus there’s the cost of crockery/the staff to serve it/wash the plates, etc so I don’t think you can compare the two.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors