50 people– will it be boring??

posted 2 years ago in Reception
Post # 2
242 posts
Helper bee

As long as the liquor is flowing freely, it will never be boring. 😉 Trust me.

Post # 3
3047 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Llsiena: It really depends on your guests. We had a small bachelor/bachelorette party a few days before the wedding – perhaps 10 people and we had an awesome time, dancing and everything. I even surfed a baby gym (totally surreal btw)! For the wedding we were about 35, but most of the crowd were older and not into dancing at all. It was still nice, and I had a great time, but it wasn’t a full blown out party. If I were you I would assess your guest list and make your decision based on that. 

For the record, I’ve been to a 50 people wedding with a kick ass dance floor and to a 200 people affair where we didn’t dance (and left early from) because the music was just painfully loud.

Post # 4
180 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: February 2015

I went to a wedding with 60 guests a few weeks ago. It was really great!!! People were not on the dance floor all night but there was still a fair amount of dancing, and the couple could hang out with most of the guests for significant amounts of time.

Post # 5
889 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

It definitely depends on your Guests! We are inviting 75 but expecting to have 50-60 at the wedding and will be having lots of dancing and a live band – our family and friends on both sides are very sociable and outgoing so I know it’ll be a great party! 

Post # 6
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

Llsiena:  We just got married (yay) and had 35 guests total. I was really worried about the dancing, but the DJ was great and we were dancing all night. We had a small dance floor and probably 15-25 people on the floor at any time. We also had an open bar. Even the older folks were on the dance floor!

Post # 7
1236 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2014 - San Francisco, CA

I don’t think a brunch + after-party is any more likely to result in dancing. Then it’d still be the middle of the day. Your best bet would be the traditional afternoon wedding, with reception stretching into the night, and lots and lots of booze.

Post # 8
187 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Villa Celeste

We are having 30, and I’m not worried whatsoever about it being boring. I’ve invited my family and closest friends, and I’m certain they will all have a great time. We have liquor, dancing, and a beautiful rented villa/patio for people to hang out on till the wee hours of morning if they please.

Like PP’s have mentioned, I’ve been to weddings with 300 people that were incredibly boring, and tiny weddings that were a blast! I think it just depends on the group of people and the vibe you set for the reception. If you’re out there having fun, and partying and having a good time then I’m sure your guests will follow.

Post # 9
1085 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Llsiena:  Small weddings are wonderful if you embrace the idea that it will be an intimate wedding and do not try to duplicate a large wedding. People love these weddings. With the money you save, you can spoil the guests that you have. You will not need an emcee, and skip the DJ. Enlist a friend to take the microphone and make a few announcements.

I hired a quartet. You can play the music through an ipad.

Will dancing be affected? Yes, in my experience. There are fewer people to get out on the floor and create that party atmosphere. You do not have to throw it out altogether, just don’t make it center around dancing. You don’t want a DJ trying to get people out there for those standard dances, etc. Before my wedding, I told a couple of guests about my worry that folks would be disappointed that there wasn’t the typical DJ blasting music. To my surprise they all thanked me that the music would not be blaring so loud no one could hear each other speak.

We used the dance floor in some other ways. Invited everyone up for a group photo. Asked the married couples to line up according to how long married (they had to talk to each other), and then each couple was asked to give some words of advice to the new couple (some funny responses).

Take this as an opportunity.

I would say this works better as an afternoon wedding, rather than an evening wedding, where for some reason, people expect dancing to be more of a part of it.

Good luck.

Post # 10
405 posts
Helper bee

I’m having a brunch wedding with about 50 people.  As long as there is good food, drinks (don’t have to be alcoholic), and music, the people shouldn’t be bored.  People mingle and chit chat, expecially with people they haven’t seen in a while.

Post # 11
2064 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Llsiena:  i invited quite a few people but in the end i think about 50 or less people showed up and we had a blast!! more people danced the night away then i thought would. with the help of my sister encourageing it. people wont get bored. dont worry. unless your venue can hole three/two times as many people. then it will seem empty. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors