$500 Budget for Dress – Buy a replica?

posted 3 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
1504 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@FutureMrsA2014:  That’s a gorgeous dress. But there are lots of others that look like that. Have you considred maybe getting something similar to it??

Post # 4
6073 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

@FutureMrsA2014:  Is that total, including alterations, slip, bra, accessories?

David’s Bridal might have some options that are very similar.

PreOwnedWeddingDresses.com has sample gowns for sale and brand new never worn dresses.  You could find your size in your favorite brand and look for a dress on there.

I do think you can find a dress that is similar enough and alrady exists.

Post # 5
11300 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: August 2013

Do not purchase from one of those sites. The only two replica sites that I would ever use would be Jasmine’s and Dressilyme.

Post # 6
428 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

And I’ll pitch in that you can get a Jasmine’s replica for that budget. I’m not sure how expensive the lacework would be, but I got top-of-the-line fabric AND craftsmanship for mine and it was just over $500. If you did the basic level of both I think you could still get that dress for $500, and as long as you did the measurements correctly, you’d probably only need 1 minor tailoring appointment.

Post # 7
1788 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@vorpalette:  Great advice. 

I made the mistake of ordering from a less reputable replica site and it’s been hell. I had to order another dress from DressilyMe and still trying to get money back for the one botched by the other replica shop. Best case scenario, I will still be out $67 for the cost of shipping it back. 

I agree that the style of the dress should be easy to find from another designer. I doubt you’ll find it in good shape on preownedweddingdress.com for less than $500 if it’s originally $2400, but I would definitely look at David’s Bridal. I actually had a good experience there. 

Post # 8
9652 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@vorpalette:  +1

OP I have never heard of either of those sites! I would personally only use dressillyme or jasmines. Have you thought about trying to buy a preowned dress.

You should look on recycledbride.com, preownedweddingdresses.com or on the bee also has a classified section with tons of dresses that people are trying to sell. I get very wary of those replica sites especially ones I have never heard of!

Post # 9
6073 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: August 2012

RecycledBride.com is now part of Tradesy.com

Post # 10
46 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Don’t forget about purchasing off the rack. When I was looking for dresses $500 was my budget too. I called around to the different stores before I went and asked them what price ranges their dresses came in and what kind of a selection they carried under $500. I ended up being able to buy a sample dress for $299 so it’s definitley possible.

Post # 11
3280 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2014

Try sample sales as well. I bought my designer dress at a sale for $400, it’s totally doable!

Post # 12
449 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

@FutureMrsA2014:  I got mine from Fabulous U and it was under 500 with slight modifications and shipping. My dress is really well made in my opinion. I was going to go with Jasmines but it was over the amount I wanted to spend and I heard dressilyme didn’t have the best lace. Here’s a picture of my dress for reference

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors