(Closed) $500 for uplighting??

posted 6 years ago in Decor
Post # 3
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

We did, and I think it cost around that. It’s a lot of set-up, for one, there’s a lot of electrical codrs and electrical sources to plan out and consider, and then we had several venue meetings with the lighting guys to make sure everything would work. Then, there’s the per light cost, the salary for the people staying the whole night to make sure everything goes ok/set up/take down, etc. It’s a lot of work. We also got a microphone, speakers, amp, and iPod hookup through them.

Post # 4
1572 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

We got a really good deal on uplighting, and it was kind of part of the DJ package (although I will say our uplighting was essentially free b/c my partner used to do MMA w/ the owner of the company). I pulled out the paperwork, and uplighting goes w/ certain packages but looks to be around $400-500. I would not have paid that for it, and uplighting was not a priority for us (also noteworthy that the receeption is in more of a lodge looking place and we’re also trying to save money where we can b/c we’re paying for teh whole thing ourselves). The guy that does uplighting does need to show up the location at least once before the wedding to scope out things and plan where to put lighting, plus the equipment seems pricey so I can understand why it’s not cheap. However, I do think it’s kind of fun.

Post # 6
3617 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

@Sparkle030:  That’s a bit cheeky.  But I’d still say pretty standard.  I know one venue which has a permanently installed starcloth.  If you want to use it they charge £300 excludng tax (or $475).

Also bear in mind though that they might be employing an additional technician to “babysit” it (hense the pricey starcloth). The going rate, in the UK at least, is £120-240 ($190-380) for a technician. Most technicians get paid a dayrate regardless of how many hours they do. 12 hours is the standard day, anything above that would be at a day and a half.

I would still try and knock them down, even if it’s by $100.  A lot of these venues charge what they do because they think people “don’t know any better”.

Post # 7
24 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I decided to DIY my uplighting. I found LED uplights that are super easy to use, and you can link all of the lights together using just 1 outlet (since these are LED rather than the older type of par can uplighting). 

[link removed for self promotion]

Post # 8
190 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

Our DJ is doing our uplighting for $200. 

Post # 9
1 posts
Wannabee

A lot of times I think the pricing depends on the number of lights and the bride and groom’s expectations within the room. There’s a big difference between setting up 10 lights and 40 lights, and with considerations like power draw, room logistics and more, some companies will price it on a “per-light” basis. Others have a standard fee appropriate to the number/type of lights, room size, product they bring. 

Personally I think it’s easier as a standard rate and my company offers lighting (not just uplighting) for $250 for just lights, $200 as part of a DJ/Audio package – both prices including the tech for up to 5 hours of party-time. If the lights are already setup and it’s simply a matter of turning them on, I’d try for the discount. Most companies will do it, especially if you offer them a glowing review or something to “scratch their back” in return. If nothing else, just hire your own lighting team for cheaper. Think creatively and you’ll be rewarded. Last quick note, LED lighting is more vibrant and draws less energy than standard par cans so you might want to be specific on the type of lights used.Good luck!

Post # 11
4429 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

@Sparkle030:  up lighting at our venue is $600 bucks ; ( i really want it but i just cant justify spending that kind of money on lights. i rather have that extra n$$ for our honeymoon or something.

Post # 12
155 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

If you go to rentmywedding.com  You can rent LED uplights for 19.99 each…. easy set up and have all different colors…

Thinking about using them for my wedding as our venue charges 450.00 for uplighting!  I can’t justify that amount but would LOVE LOVE LOVE uplighting!

Good luck!

The topic ‘$500 for uplighting??’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors