$500 vs $1000

posted 3 years ago in Flowers
Post # 4
8426 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@AlmostMrsShield:  I think it will look nice, especially when she uses real flowers.  I DIY’d my flowers for about $320 (1 bridal, 2 BMs, 2 nosegays for moms, 1 toss, 2 large altar arrangements, aisle arrangements, and rose petals for my tables)and they came out great.

Post # 6
8426 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: April 2013

@AlmostMrsShield:  Honestly, it’s really not that hard, provided you’re using hardy/sturdy stems and you’re doing a round/free form bouquet.  If you’re going for something specific (i.e. pomander balls, cascading bouquet, etc), you’re probably better off with a professional.  I actually baked my entire sweet n salty buffet, 2 cakes for my rehearsal and did the flowers all the week before my wedding and the flowers were the easiest part.

Post # 7
606 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

I think it looks beautiful!  I’d probably hire the friend for $500.  I think flowers are way overpriced. 

My mom and I had planned to DIY my flowers but it seemed like too much work for the day before the wedding.  We went to a wholesaler to scope out their selection and bought some flowers to practice.  Our practice bouquets didn’t turn out as nice as @housebee but they were still really pretty. It surprisingly wasn’t very difficult, just time consuming.  I’d suggest you look up some tutorials and do a practice bouquet and bout before the big day. 

I ended up booking a florist who works out of her home to make the bouquets, bouts and corsages.  Her prices are much cheaper than a brick and mortar store.  My mom and I are still gonna make the centerpieces though.

Post # 9
470 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@AlmostMrsShield:  If I were you I would hire your friend since it’s someone you should be able to trust. We went with the cheapest florist we could find and although cheap I was able to meet with her and see examples of what my arrangements would look like. I felt confident, she knew exactly what to do. Well the day of my wedding, none of the bouquets were correct and super sloppy, all of my table arrangements were completely the wrong flowers, and there were no flowers for my cake! So that just goes to show you that you just never know! The flowers were an important part to me, but when it came down to it the day of there was nothing I could do, and nobody really cares that much about your flowers, I came to realize! So I would hire your friend, and don’t stress about it too much! Good luck!!! No matter what you do, something will go wrong the day of, it’s just stuff to laugh about after the fact!

Post # 10
1214 posts
Bumble bee

Sometimes they are willing to show you if you pay for it.  Sometimes they don’t have the flowers in season.  It just depends.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors