5000 saving? Sat-Sun dif

posted 3 years ago in Venue
  • poll: What day?
    No one will mind go with Sunday its a better value : (22 votes)
    29 %
    No one will say they mind but Saturday is better : (39 votes)
    52 %
    Its ur wedding getting the ideal day and venue isnt being bratty its wanting ppl to have a good time : (10 votes)
    13 %
    Ask the other people who are planning with you, let them pick the day of the week and just have fun : (4 votes)
    5 %
  • Post # 3
    1068 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2014

I don’t think anyone will mind, but it depends on your guest list.  If they’re mostly middle aged folks, you might have a lot of early leavers.  I can’t imagine my friends in their early 20s calling it a night after dinner just because they have to work the next day!

Also, if your guests are OOT, it’s cheaper to fly Saturday-Monday than it is to fly Friday-Sunday.

I’d say just go for it.  It’s not a huge difference, and people who want to be there will still be there.

Post # 4
    2962 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

I honestly wouldn’t stay that late on a Sunday evening. I have 3 children I would have to go home to and prepare for school the next day, not to mention DH and I would have to get up at 7am and work but you know your guests. Have you thought about having it at an earlier time on Sunday?

Post # 5
    3112 posts
    Sugar bee

@Kissed_by_lightning:  I couldn’t vote because I don’t agree with any of those options.  I would definitely NOT have a Sunday night wedding (unless the next day is a national holiday and everyone is off of work).  Either do it Saturday and your preferred venue and pay that high cost or do it Sunday earlier in the day.

Post # 6
    926 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

From a Sunday bride, I had the same thoughts.  We originally got pricing for Saturday, and it was over budget.  So they asked if would entertain a Friday or Sunday wedding.  We chose Sunday and it ended up being half as much.  Also note, other vendors give Sunday discounts too.  Our DJ was $200 off for a Sunday over a Saturday.  It was totally worth the savings to us.  Also because it’s a Sunday, there is only one wedding that day (there potentially could be two on Saturday), ours, so we got to pick the exact times we wanted to start and end.  We are ending a little early at 10 pm so people can get home at a decent hour.  Our OOT guests were gonig to have to take a day off work either way (Friday vs Monday) so we are not getting any negative feedback on the day.  I’ve noticed Sunday is becoming more popular, the next best to Saturday.

Post # 7
    2355 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2014

I think a Sunday night wedding is a bad idea, but I also think a $5,000 price difference is absolutely CRAZY. I don’t know what to vote.

Post # 8
    2064 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

what about the friday? is there a difference there? i ended up having to do it friday and it ended up being beautiful and the saturday was raininy. so some times it works out.

if i was going to a wedding on sunday i would prefer to go earlier than later. cuz then if i do have a few to many i will have plenty of time to go home and sleep.

Post # 9
    1302 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

I voted to stick with Saturday, or would it be possible to do a Friday wedding? I would rather attend a Friday wedding rather than a Sunday wedding.

Post # 10
    6964 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

If you don’t mind people leaving early the Sunday is probably fine. I don’t think too many people are going to have a crazy party when they have to work the next day.

Post # 11
    8720 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2013

I would have it earlier on a Sunday.

Post # 12
    9412 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

@Kissed_by_lightning:  If a Sunday wedding is what you can afford, then that’s what you need to do. You will just have to be prepared that some guests won’t attend because of it (unless you have a very understanding social circle). FI and I don’t do anything on Sundays – it’s family day. When I work the next day, I am not going to an event. I would never advocate going into debt for a wedding though, so if that’s what you need to do to make it work, then do it.

Post # 13
    5351 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2009

While we really wanted a Sat wedding, like you, the price difference was so drastic that we did a Sunday. Most of our guests were flying in from OOT, and were all invited to attend the RD, which meant 1 day off from work if the wedding were to be on a Sat (RD on Fri.) So instead most of our guests flew in on Sat, wedding sunday, and day off on Monday. So in both cases, only had to take 1 day off from work. 

While we did have people leave early bc it was a Sunday, we were overall happy with the decision. 

Post # 15
    181 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

@Kissed_by_lightning:  I think it depends on your guests. Are many travelling? Sunday wedding can be daunting for out of town guests – they need to go back and work Monday. If you don’t have out of town guests, I think it’s a great idea. I had this issue as well but we have too many out of town guests.

Post # 16
    2460 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2013

I’m getting married on a Sunday (it’s a long weekend so not really the same type of situation) and it’s crazy how much I’m saving on some things. Our reception venue alone was a 50% saving compared to Friday/Saturday.

As a guest, I would definitely attend a Sunday wedding, I would just probably drink a little less (saves money too!) and not stay as long, but I wouldn’t not go. Since your wedding is in August, if your date is correct at the top, then it would be even better because it’ll stay light out later.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors