50/50 Raffle at Hockey Themed Wedding where proceeds goes to Charity

posted 3 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: How would you feel about a 50/50 raffle with proceeds going to charity?
    Love it! : (5 votes)
    19 %
    Hate it! : (20 votes)
    74 %
    Meh. : (2 votes)
    7 %
    Tough Call. : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    5787 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

Nope, absolutely not.  It’s really not cool to expect your guests to have to open their wallets, and it’s not cool to put them on the spot like that.  

If you want to do a charity donation and raise transport awareness, why not put something on your wedding website like “In lieu of gifts, missHockey and MrHockey would welcome a donation to Transplant Services in MissHockey’s mother’s memory” with a link to the charity’s website?  That will raise awareness plus give the guests an option over participating or not, which they can decide in private without the social pressure of someone hawking raffle tickets.

Post # 5
    3777 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: February 2013

Not a fan. I’ve seen the idea of donations “in lieu of favors,” on the bee. I’d be more comfortable with that as a guest.

Post # 6
    2798 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2014

Raffels at a wedding seems complete odd to me.  Not because your asking your guests to open their wallets (I’m actaully not as violently oposed to it as a lot of people will be)  but because it’s more carnival than wedding. 

I think an “In Leiu of gifts” or on your program you can put “In loving memory of the dearly departed Mom Hockey, we have made a donation our guests name to chairty.  For more information visit (website)”

Post # 8
    10219 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: December 2012

Etiquette Snob here… lol

Ok first off, I have to say as a Canadian, and a Hockey Lover that I GET how this idea might have been hatched for a Hockey Themed Wedding…

And as admirable as your choice of Charity is (memory of your Mom… which also makes sense wanting to Honour her at your Wedding)

I am GLAD to see that you`ve followed the advice from the other Bees who have commented so far.

Fundraising & Weddings just don`t mix.

Hope this helps,

PS… Nothing wrong tho with your fore-going the often-seen Wedding Favours for a Charitable Donation instead and informing your Guests that you made that choice (money you would have spent in one way, you have chosen to spend in another way).  In your shoes that is probably what I`d do

PPS… Looking forward to eventually seeing the Recap Photos from your Wedding.  Hockey themed Weddings can be great fun !!

Post # 10
    3009 posts
    Sugar bee

@MissHockey:  I think a better option would be to offer a donation in lieu of a favor. I work at a cancer hospital and we will send couples cute cards to give their guests letting them know. A raffle feels like a fundraiser!

Post # 11
    9526 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2013

I once went to a wedding where the DJ announced that in lieu of the “dollar-dance” the couple was going to do a “dollar-dash” with all proceeds goign to a charity (I don’t remember which one). Basically they both put on tennis shoes and went to the dance floor. Then the DJ played a song and people would hold up money (I think mostly just $1) and they both raced all over the reception trying to get more money than the other. Some people would only give the money to one or the other. It was actually pretty funny to watch and it didn’t last long. I thought it was fun and for a good cause, so I really liked it. My grandmother would not have liked it. You can’t pelase everyone. But if you think your friends and family would go for it then I say give it a try! Who’s going to get mad at you for donating to charity? Just make sure it isn’t a thing where people feel pressured. Maybe just have it set up on a table off to the side with a sign and then announce the drawing later in the evening.

Post # 12
    10748 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 2014

I wouldn’t be offended by it, but I would think that it’s an odd thing to have at a wedding. We are planning on doing something different instead of clinking glasses to make is kiss though (maybe you could do something like this) – we will have a donation jar for the Canadian Cancer foundation that people will have to make a donation to in order I make us kiss. We each know many family members that have had/died from cancer so I like the sentiment behind it. And it avoids that annoying glass clinking!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors