(Closed) 6-11pm enought time for ceremony & reception?

posted 6 years ago in Logistics
  • poll: What should I do with my site booking only from 6-11pm?
    Keep it how it is with ceremony & reception 6-11pm : (19 votes)
    56 %
    Find new ceremony site : (3 votes)
    9 %
    Add additional time before 6pm : (8 votes)
    24 %
    Add additional time after 11pm : (4 votes)
    12 %
  • Post # 3
    23636 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

Our wedding was from 6-11pm and we found it to be the perfect amount of time for our guests!  If it helps any, here’s our timeline:

8:30 am Girls arrive at Hotel
    Hair & Makeup (beginning with Bridesmaids & Moms)

12:00 pm Getting ready shots of Girls at Hotel (mostly staged for BM)
    Bride Hair & Makeup

Bride gets into dress

Photos of girls on stairs at Hotel

1:30 pm Girls depart Rose Hotel for Ruby Hill

1:45 – 2:00 pm Everyone arrives at Ruby Hill

2:00 pm Getting ready shots of guys at Ruby Hill

2:30 pm First Look at Ruby Hill

2:45 pm B&G photos at nearby locations and Ruby Hill

3:30 pm Bridal Party Photos at Ruby Hill

4:15 pm Immediate family photos at Ruby Hill

5:00 pm Done with Photos

5:30 pm Guests begin to Arrive

6:00 pm Ceremony

6:30 pm Reception

7:20 pm Bridal Party Announcements (18 ppl)

7:25 pm First Dance

7:30 pm Salads are served

7:40 pm Toasts (MOH, Bridesmaid or Best Man, Both Parents)

7:55 pm Entrees are served

8:10 pm Bride Changes into Chinese Dress

8:15 pm Cake Cutting

8:20 pm Table Greeting

9:10 pm Video Montage

9:20 pm Father/Daughter, Mother/Son’ Bridal Party Dances

10:00 pm Bride changes back into wedding dress

10:20 pm Bouquet & Garter Toss

11:00 pm Last Dance

Post # 4
    2401 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

You could always do toasts and cake cutting during the end of dinner to save time. That way, dancing can start a half hour earlier. Or, shorten your cocktail hour and do the majority of your pictures before instead. 

We have similar timelines, but we did decide to add an hour on to the dancing and do an after party.

Post # 6
    4194 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

Mine will also be 6-11. I doubt that you’ll need a full hour for dinner- once people are served, they should finish in 1/2 an hour. We’re doing our first dance right after we enter, so that the dance floor is open and the party can start!

Post # 7
    382 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: December 1969

This was our event time, and it was perfect. I originally wanted to add time as well, but 5 hours ended up being just right.

Post # 8
    443 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

We have five hours from the ceremony’s start (ceremony takes place across the street from the reception venue and should last about 35 minutes) to the reception’s end (that’s a hard and fast time – zoning regulations require our ending at 10pm, no bribery allowed) and trust me, we’re concerned. But, I think it’s do-able. We are: doing our first dance during the cocktail hour, skipping the salad course and only serving soup and entree during the seated dinner, and skipping the cake cutting (neither of us wanted to do one any way). After dinner, we’ll do two parent/child dances and two ethnic line dances. We aren’t doing any other special things during the reception – garter/bouquet, tributes, etc. That’ll leave us about 90-120 minutes of pure dance-partying (and cake-eating). I think that’s sufficient. After that, we’re going to a bar within walking distance of the reception site and hope people who still want to dance will come with us. That said, if we had six hours from start to finish… I think it would still feel like a blur, so maybe that’s just the nature of the day, no matter how much time you allot.

ETA: we’re doing pictures pre-ceremony as well.

Post # 9
    12905 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

We’re doing 6:30-11:30, so basically the same as yours, and I think that will be a sufficient amount of time. 

Post # 10
    765 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2013

I think it’ll be perfect. I know in Springfield, MO, where I live the typical reception only lasts 3-4 hours, and I’ve been told by photographers and such that that is average. I think it’ll be the perfect amount of time. And with it being shorter I think your guests will be more likely to stay the entire event instead of getting tired and feeling like its dragging on and leaving early. 

Post # 11
    2697 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I just went to a 6-11 wedding and while it was enough time, it sure did feel like it went by really fast!

Post # 12
    1839 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

i hope so, cause mine’s 6-10:30! lol.

then again, my ceremony and reception are in the same place 

edit: saw that yours is too

Post # 14
    879 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

We’re getting married at a museum and I’m having a 6-11pm wedding too!  At first I was worried it might be too short, but I’m starting to think it might be just right. We’re planning dinner to start at 7:30 and I hope 3.5 hours for reception will be enough time.

We’re thinking of doing toast near the end of dinner too maybe before the video montage. I want to do cake cutting a bit later after that since people say guests feel cake cutting somewhat signifies the end and I don’t want people to leave early πŸ™ I’ve read it’s best to leave it until the last hour of the reception.

We’re doing cocktail hour too, but unlimited tray passed of three hor d’oeuvres. My relatives are used to the chinese style banquets with eight courses so I think it’ll be okay, lol, especially when they see dinner will be just a salad and entree.  I wouldn’t worry about people being full from cocktail hour.  Usually hor d’oeuvres make me hungry for dinner πŸ™‚

We have to stop the music at 11pm but the catering manager says it’s okay if people linger a bit later.  They will do cleanup from 11pm-12:30am.  I think if you had to fit cleanup before 11pm, that may be too short!

Post # 15
    1512 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2013

This is the exact same time slot we have picked for our wedding! I think it’s plenty of time, but around here, receptions are usually an hour-ish. We’re going to be partying hard, haha.

The topic ‘6-11pm enought time for ceremony & reception?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors