6 hour drive with baby

posted 3 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
1178 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

I’d probably leave after his first feeding and then after his nap, I’d stop, take a break, let him get some fresh air and whatnot and then start on the second leg of the trip.  That way, hopefully he’ll sleep some after getting out, eating/snacking, etc.

Post # 4
1472 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

My little guy does NOT travel well in the car (same age), so I’d vote for the overnight drive if you can do it. We were supposed to do a 12-hour drive 2 months ago, but we ended up getting plane tickets after a 3-hour “test drive.” That said, I have other friends whose kids do awesome in the car and basically sleep the whole way. 

If I were doing it, I’d leave at 8 p.m., get where you’re going and try to get him back down for more sleep once you arrive. If you split the driving, you guys wouldn’t be too short on sleep.

Post # 5
42166 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

When my children were babies I did the driving at night. They slept the whole way.

Post # 6
2783 posts
Sugar bee

@meggyo: if it were me, I’d leave at 3am. I drove three hours with my 8 month old during “nap time” and she didn’t sleep at all. It’s was mostly just her crying the entire time.

Post # 7
11772 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: May 2013

I would definitely leave at 8 and drive overnight!

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors