6 months before our wedding and my father pulls this

posted 2 years ago in Family
Post # 2
42157 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

It is a terrific surprise, but I caution you not to make any plans for that $15,000 until you have cash in hand. There have been many threads posted by Bees who were promised money which never came through.

Post # 3
357 posts
Helper bee

MissBettsy:  some people are not that good of showing affection, but that doesn’t mean deep down inside they don’t love you. Give him a big hug and tell him you love him. Chances are, he thinks it’s gross, but it will make him happy in the inside. 

Post # 4
568 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

That is amazing! Congrats! My parents gave us 10,000 which was AMAZING to us because all my years growing up they said they weren’t spending a dime on my wedding. I think they gave me that much because I am there only daughter and don’t have much money.

Post # 6
1131 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

That is a great story!

If I were you, I would cautiously approach my mom about looking into the money situation before I made a huge deal about accepting it. After all, you don’t want a $15,000 party if it is the result of your father pridefully draining his and your mother’s retirement account, do you?

Post # 8
8680 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2014

Once you get the money, I would also ask him if there are any strings attatched.. sometimes parents give money for weddings with conditions… you MUST invite so and so… you must have this type of ceremony, you must have this food, ect.

Post # 9
332 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: Davis Island Garden Club

Congrats! That’s exciting for your wedding planning. It’s also exciting for you and your dad, maybe this might be the start of a better relationship for you two. 

Post # 10
397 posts
Helper bee

He sounds like a couple of people I know… Including my own father, who is so brilliant that he has a very difficult time connecting with anyone else on a social level (including his own kids). I know he shows his love in very odd ways and unexpected times. So, when I read this, I thought that your dad probably regrets not being the best father, and this is his way of trying to show his love and/or make up for that. It’s beyond repair to some degree, so this may be his way of righting some wrongs. He may genuinely not have the ability (or know-how) of showing his love and support in any other fashion.

Having said that and forgetting about your history with him, it’s very sweet gesture, especially considering it was so unnecessary and unexpected. I hope all goes as planned, because that is an amazingly awesome bonus during an otherwise stressful process! 

Post # 11
1701 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

MissBettsy:  wow I am excited for you and your fiancé. You can breath and relax and wait to see if he give it you and maybe that a start to a new relationship

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors