6 prong engagement ring…question

posted 3 years ago in Rings
Post # 4
2305 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

That does seem a bit odd and I’d probably try to get it fixed when you can.

But given that there are plenty of 4-prong settings for round brilliant stones, I’m not sure why that alone would cause you to be in danger of losing the stone? Did the jeweler explain at all?

Post # 5
474 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 1993

@SouthernBee33:  I think you should get a second opinion.  If the second jeweler says it then you know you have to make some decisions.  It may be they can just redo the prongs but I really don’t know.  Something bent one of my prongs and it turned a different direction and they were able to fix it but I would definitely get a second opinion first.

Post # 6
1298 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

@SouthernBee33:  

@rachelmichelle has a good point in that there are plenty of four prong settings out there with no problems. 

But maybe the size of the head is too small/big for the size diamond that you have, and that’s why it’s not secure?

Post # 9
2305 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: March 2013

@SouthernBee33:  Definitely get a second opinion from an independent jeweler.

Based on what you just said, it sounds like they were basically trying to get money out of you that day in any way possible. (Even if that meant dissing your mom’s diamond! Geez!)

I wouldn’t trust them. If a different, unrelated jeweler tells you it’s not secure, then I’d see about getting it fixed.

Post # 11
920 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2015

@SouthernBee33:  I think a lot of the heads are platinum, even on a white gold ring. But ugh sometimes those jewelry stores are SO PUSHY. I would head to a smaller local store for another opinion. 

Post # 13
6407 posts
Bee Keeper

She told you correctly, these prongs are all wrong! Please do get them fixed. Not by the person who did that terrible job in the first place, either. It really isn’t done right.

Post # 16
3635 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Talk to a good, independent jeweler.  The head on my ring is platinum, but they almost tried to talk me out of it in favor of white gold.  White gold is cheaper and not as brittle as platinum.  Platinum is strong, but will crack when impacted, gold will bend, but does wear more.  And they told me that if I do lose a prong that it will be replaced/retipped with white gold anyway. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors