6 year old + gerbil + alone for 5 mins = $350 Vet bill!!

posted 3 years ago in Pets
Post # 3
4072 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: January 2014

Aw, that is sad. Of course your son meant no harm, but he does need to realize he must be careful around animals. I think it’s good that he has to play nurse for the poor little girl. I am glad she is okay though!

Post # 4
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I must be a terrible person because my first thought was to go buy a new gerbil that looks exactly the same because that can’t be more than $50. I am a dog lover and I know that wouldn’t work with a puppy because they have their own little personalities. I am not sure if rodents do, but I would have tried the trick.

OP, don’t feel so bad. Accidents happen and it sounds like your son is learning a valuable lesson. You are a lot nicer than I am because you are willing to spend the money!

Post # 6
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Nel13:  I hope your son appreciates what a nice mom he has!

Post # 7
3222 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Awww, this post broke my heart. Your son must feel awful for what happened, but you are a wonderful person to save your gerbil. Many people wouldn’t deal with the cost involved. Karma is on your side, my dear! 

Post # 8
1836 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

wow, to be honest i wouldn’t have paid for the surgery…. but i also wouldn’t have paid $200 to have it put down. so what else do you do? just let it suffer? that’s terrible.

you’re a better person than i am!

Post # 9
1611 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

WOW what kind of surgery do they do? I mean, if it’s a natural thing that happens… Wouldn’t it heal naturally?

I probably would have paid for the surgery, I can’t stand to see an animal in pain, nor do I have the heart to put one down, no matter how small… unless there is good reason (illness, cancer etc…)

Post # 10
3557 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

@MrsPanda99:  Rodents definitely do have their own personalities. My gerbil was very antisocial and liked to bite my mother, he was ok with the rest of us, but on one memorable occasion he bit my mother on the nose hard enough to draw blood. I’ve had two rabbits the first was sociable, liked being petted on your lap, and loved my father. The second is very independent and rebellious, we litterally use cuddle time as her punishment because she hates it so much (lucky for us she is a naughty rabbit). I am her favorite person, but I couldn’t take her with me when I moved, so she stayed with my parents. She has reached an understanding with my father, but she goes through phases where she just wants to be alone. She basically doesn’t listen to my mother at all. I just got guinea pigs a few weeks ago and already I can tell that one of them is fiesty, high strung, and cannot sit still when held and the other is more skittish and laid back when you are holding him.

Even if you managed to find a gerbil that looked just like the injured one I highly doubt the personality would be the same, and the kid would most likely notice that something was different.

Post # 11
466 posts
Helper bee

Don’t blame yourself.  Accidents happen, unfortunately.  I think it was amazing that you paid for the gerbils surgery, and even better that you took away your son’s cable priviledges to pay for it.  Accidents happen, but all children need to learn there are consequences.

Hugs, and feel better!

Post # 12
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@Eckle:  Oh, I had no idea. Thanks for enlightening me.

Either way, I still don’t think I could justify a vet bill like that for a rodent. They don’t have very long life spans do they? And like the OP said, they cost $15. I can’t imagine they add as much meaning to someone’s life as a dog, but again, my bias is being a dog lover so maybe I am completely off base.

Post # 14
9412 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

@MrsPaperFlowers:  +1, I was also thinking that shouldn’t the tail just grow back if it is supposed to fall off?? I hope the vet wasn’t pulling the wool over the OP’s eyes.

Post # 15
1611 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

@MrsPanda99:  me too… I mean.. If it was a cat, I could see it needing surgery, that’s part of their spine… but … IDK.. Just puzzles me.. Maybe packing something in the hole to prevent infection?

I’m just picturing a gerbil with an elizabethian collar on it (cone of shame.. whatever you wanna call it)

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors