Post # 1
On easter Sunday my husband caught my brother and step father throwing our dog cooked rib bones. From what I understand, our dog was eating them, chewing them, and swallowing them no problems. Now, 3 days later, my dog has not eaten, has a bloated stomach, has diarhea, and will not go on walks ( I practically had to drag him home last night). He seems sad and depressed. i shoufl add that he did get nuetered about 2 months ago, although, he was not acting like this after he got nuetered. I am almost certain the rib bones have got him stopped up. My husband did give him some bread with olive oil on it today to try and help him pass whatever is stuck in there. I am worried and do nto have the money to take him to the vet right now. Please help!
Post # 2
Take him.to the vet ASAP!!!!!!
They will make a payment plan for you. And make those stupid family members give you money for the treatment because it’s their fault.
GO TODAY!!!!!! this is very serious and your dog can die. I hate posts like this where you think olive oil can help unjam broken slivered rib bones from the digestive tact etc. Your dog needs medical help asap.
Post # 3
lifeisbeeutiful : every single thing she said. He needs to go to the vet now!
Post # 4
parksgirl : VET ASAP!!
You don’t mess with blockages, he may need emergency surgery to live.
Pleeeeeeeeeease take him in.
Post # 5
I have an appointment today at 4pm. Hopefully everything will be ok. Thanks for the feedback.
Post # 6
Why on earth are you taking the time to post here when it’s clear your dog needs a trip to the vet ASAP?!?!? Call right now, let them know it’s an emergency, and take off of work if you have to in order to get him to the vet. Worst case scenario, which is completely possible, is that the bone fragments have punctured his stomach or intestines. YOUR DOG COULD DIE IF YOU DON’T GET HIM TREATED. Use a credit card, work out a payment plan, do whatever you have to do to help your poor suffering dog.
For future reference, any time your dog stops eating for a prolonged period of time you need to go to the vet. Get pet insurance or start saving up money for vet visits since owning a dog is a responsibility that often involves spending a lot on medical bills.
Post # 7
parksgirl : if you’re otherwise going to refuse to go to the vet due to money, at least call a humane society/animal shelter to see if they can help. I’m sure they’d rather help than let your dog suffer, but again I’m only suggesting this as an absolute last resort and I am not saying it as an equally good option, and I don’t even know that they would help. i just don’t want your dog to get worse if you don’t take action due to money.
ETA I see now that you have an appointment. But I do think it should be pushed up.
Post # 8
I’m glad you called. You did the right thing. However, I do agree with lightningbumble that you should press for an earlier appointment. Your dog is suffering. Making him wait longer after you subjected him to three+ days of this is cruel. If your vet truly can’t squeeze him in earlier, is there an emergency vet you can take him to now?
Post # 9
Please get him to the vet ASAP! Do not wait until 4 pm. This could be a medical emergency. See a different vet or go to a vet ER if you have to. Poor puppy.
Post # 10
Don’t wait until 4pm, Bee. Intestinal blockage can be fatal if not addressed quickly. Get your dog to the vet ASAP.
Google “dog bloat” if all of us telling you this is an emergency isn’t convincing.
Post # 11
parksgirl : BLOAT KILLS DOGS. HE NEEDS TO SEE THE VET NOW NOT AT 4pm. THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!!!!!
Post # 12
Check your dog’s gums. They should be a nice pink color similar to yours. If they are pale, the ribs perforated something and he’ll need to go to the emergency vet NOW.
Post # 13
Apply for a Care Credit Card. It’s for emergencies and can be used at most vets. When you apply you can get approved immediately and can use it right away even without the physical card. Take your dog to an emergency vet hospital ASAP. You can’t wait until 4 PM. This makes me so sad.
Here is the link. You can search for a emergency vet near you that accepts Care Credit and you apply using that business.
I feel like we won’t hear an update on this, but I’m hoping OP is reading and got her dog to an emergency vet ASAP. I’m surprised the vet even made a normal appt with his symptoms..
Post # 14
Omg, this isn’t even a question of what to do…get him to a vet. Call and try to find ones that will allow a payment plan.
If you can’t, surrender him to a no kill rescue or shelter where he will at least have a better chance of receiving care.
It doesn’t matter if he chews and swallows them no problem. Never allow your dog to eat cooked bones and consult a vet at the first sign of ingestion in the future. If you know you will not have the finances to care for this dog then the best thing you can do is find him a home that can provide for situations just like these ones.
Post # 15
parksgirl : JFC take him to the emergency!! Like NOW!!!