6 years with the love of my life but still waiting for proposal…

posted 3 years ago in Waiting
Post # 2
39 posts
  • Wedding: October 2014

Take a deep breath! It’s going to happen 😉

I have been with my fiancee for almost 7 years. We’ve lived together for over 3. In that time we have definitely had our ups and downs! And many challenges but we came out even stronger and more sure of out love for each other and want to spend our lives together. We had talked about marriage, kids etc and have always been on the same page.

Funnily enough he proposed (On our 6 year anniversary last year in June) after myself, and our families stopped bugging him about it! He said he wanted to proppose because he wanted to and for the right reasons, not because he felt pressured. He had a major evening planned which sadly fell through, but he proposed anyway! In our bedroom with candles lit everywhere, I got out the shower and he asked me to sit next to him and told me how much he love me and other personal relevant things to us and popped the question!

I honestly had no idea and I wouldnt change it for the world 🙂 It just felt so right and we’re now planning our wedding for Oct this year! 😀

Just enjoy each precious day with your OH and try to put it out of your mind, when it’s right it’ll happen and it will be perfect, inperfections and all!

Fingers are crossed for you and I wish you the best of luck! 🙂 xx

Post # 4
144 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

meg.colleen:  I was in the same situation 2 years ago.  My fiance and I were living with a family member, had been dating for 6.5 years, and with all of our friends getting engaged/married, it seemed like there was no engagement in sight for us.  Like you and your SO, we had lived together for most of our relationship, talked about the future casually and seriously, and KNEW we were going to make that commitment to each other one day.  I’m not gonna lie, I had times where I would be disappointed and feel like I was “falling behind” our friends.  Sometimes I wondered if he wanted to marry me… but then I rememberd all the wonderful aspects of our relationship and realized that we had each other and that was the important part.  This became especially true when we lost FI’s father and I realized that our love and our relationship (regardless of the “status”) was special and we were lucky to have it.  When the proposal finally did happen, I can’t even use words to describe the feeling.  It was completely unexpected and absolutely perfect.  All those years of being together and the trials and successes we had been through together culminated in the ultimate promise and commitment of love… it was amazing and COMPLETELY worth the wait.<br /><br />You seem to have a good head on your shoulders, and you have come to realize that you are on your own timeline.  Don’t compare yourself to others, as hard as it may seem… I did that all too often and it was when I stopped to simply enjoy what I had, that’s when we became engaged.  I hope it happens for you soon, and I know it will be a really wonderful moment no matter where it happens or when.  🙂  

Post # 6
67 posts
Worker bee

meg.colleen:  My oh my…..I was in your shoes, EXACTLY, just two weeks ago.  Look back at some of my posts, to a T.  I’m 28, hes in his early 30s…we’ve been together for YEARS, and we own a house together.  I’m pretty sure I felt the exact same way as you, and was so frustrated with the whole thing.  I just wanted to get engaged and do it already! He was all…when the time is right, soon, blahbity blah. I was always crawling out of my skin thinking “nows the time, ok now. okkkk…NOW. Maybe now?” Hahahaha.  It killed me! 

Anyways, long story short, we got engaged on the 1st while we were skiing and it was perfect. Pre engagement, I was thinking I wanted to get married by X date, sooner rather than later.  Now that we are engaged, it’s fun to just plan, so we are looking at 16-18 months away.  I don’t mind, I asked for it! 🙂

The hard part was definitely trying to get my mind off of it.  I joined the waiting list, which made it kind of a game and fun.  It was almost a fun dialogue in my head to tease him with it (I NEVER mentioned that I joined it though! Only in my head was I picking on him about it!!).  I sunk myself into work, and secretly pined away on weddingbee.  It’s fun to bitch sometimes, I know it’s so hard to wait, but he will get there.  Lean on us, we can keep you pumped up!

Post # 8
132 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I’ve been with mine over 7 years now. We bought a ring back in November and brought it home together. 

There were many time since then I thought he’d propose but he didn’t, and to be honest, I don’t mind.  Now, I just think, I know it’s going to happen, and he wants to make it special. I’ll just have to wait to find out when! 

I have told him about joining the waiting list, and I did tell him about how I rag on him not proposing sometimes, but that there’s no pressure, and to do what he feels is right.

This is a big thing for them. When it comes to the engagement and wedding, it’s one of the biggest pieces of input he’s going to have. Let him have his moment, if you know you’re going to spend the rest of your life with him anyway.

P.S. If you’re still saving for the ring, see if you can find a jewelr. I saw a ring in Birks which was about $8450. We went to a jewelr, a referred friend, and got the same ring, custom made, with more (and mostly better diamonds) for less than $2300 all in. 

It’s the best way to go. You’ll save on the store markup, overhead, licensing, mining, and rights to sell. There’s a lot of markup you don’t know about when it comes to buying a ring from a store. And the prices your SO is seeing in the stores are redicilous. He’s probably intimited by those prices, and he wants to get you something that you think will be out of this world which will be even more than the prices in the storefront. (My SO’s words behind me right now… 🙂 Thanks babe.) We’re very proud to have gotten the perfect ring for me. I even got to include his birthstone in the ring so I could always have a part of him embeded into it.

I hope everything works out for you in the end. If you’re in Toronto, Canada, I can give you the number of the jewelr.

Your proposal will come! Things will get better and then things will be amazing.

Post # 9
112 posts
Blushing bee

@meg.colleen  oh how this sounds all to familiar, I’m in the same boat   6 years Monday St Pattys Day with my BF living together for 5 years we’ve been through our fair share of ups and downs, but you’re right it just makes you stronger. Us too have a trip planned in August to Hawaii it’s my dream vacation, do I think it’s going to happen? No, I don’t, I think he’s more focused on wanting to purchase a home then anything else you at least you’ve been ring shopping, my BF makes comments that the whole diamond and engagement ring “thing” is a scam brought on by De Beers, so at least you got your BF to look. I’m still hopeful as you should be, never give up on what you want! Trust me I know it’s Hard. I’ve watched all my friends get engaged and marry, I’m one of the last ones left…… BUT I’ll tell you one thing my BF and I have outlasted most of the people we know relationships, and were thankful we have such a strong bond. With everything that’s come our way it’s nothing we can’t handle. I wish you nothing but good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you, I’ll be checking in with you, I want to hear good news soon from you 😉

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  Misstiff.
Post # 11
1080 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

It’s hard being on this board and seeing people say they would walk away after 3 years or that they wouldn’t buy a house together prior to being engaged. FI and I were together for 4.5 years before getting engaged and purchased a house together. I am so thankful that I didn’t find this site until after I was engaged or else I might have gone crazy from the waiting threads on here. Just because you do things at a slower pace or out of order doesn’t make it wrong! Honestly, FI planned a very romantic proposal and at the time I didn’t even realize what was happening because I was so focused on other parts of our future.

Also, no harm in starting to save now. You don’t have to tell him why, just start now so you aren’t waiting on the proposal for that.

And, I have a diamond from BlueNile. They say they are conflict free and have been really wonderful to work with. I’m not positive you have them in Canada but I think so. I know you want to work with a local place but I think BlueNile has really good prices and awesome customer service just in case you want to go online.

Best of luck!

Post # 12
112 posts
Blushing bee

@meg.colleen  he absolutely knows how I feel about marriage and the union it represents. I told him I don’t care if you give me a twist tie from the grocery store and put it on my finger, it’s not about the ring, wedding or dress it’s something special to me as I didn’t have it growing up. I was raised by a single mama 🙂 I don’t want to buy a house with my BF, and heaven forbid if anything happen to either one of us we couldn’t make decisions for  one another, and I’m not fighting anyone in probait for my house and everything in it. It’s not just a piece of paper, legally it gives you both rights. So, to answer your question my love yep he knows where I stand. And he loves that I have my mind set. Hang in there girly good  things happen to those who wait!!!!! 😉

Post # 13
2355 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

You need to forget about the proposal and the trip and push it all out of your mind. You’re right; you don’t get to control how he does it. You are going to make yourself crazy, and it will seep out into your relationship.

I just got engaged, and we’ve been together for almost 8 years. SO’s reasons were financial and specific. It took a long time for us to accomplish the goal he had set, but our engagement followed immediately after, and we’re having a short engagement. I’ll be honest and admit that it was a long time to date without marriage, but I will say that he was true to his word, not trying to stall, and being more rational than I was.

We have also felt married to each other for a long time and have been making major life decisions together for most of our relationship – decisions that I would generally advise another woman not to make while unmarried or engaged. It was just us and how our relationship has progressed.

By the way, there was absolutely no surprise factor in my proposal. If you look at my post history, you’ll see that I made a thread about it happening about an hour before it happened. It may not be the stuff movies are made of, but it makes no difference. I’m getting married to the man I want to spend the rest of my life with, and that is all that matters.

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors