$60 grocery budget for a week

posted 2 years ago in Cooking
Post # 2
1028 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2015

Quinoa! I love quinoa as a healthy grain especially since I dont like brown rice! And chicken or turkey breasts, lean meats and can be flavored up for deliciousness! 

Post # 3
4025 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

This is actually what we budget each week (sometimes we come out less)!

This includes:

Water

Milk (usually every 2 weeks)

Eggs

Cereal

Veggies (carrots, lettuce, bell peppers, etc.)

Bread

Chips

Meats (chicken and/or ground beef mostly)

Pasta

Pasta sauce

Deli meat

Cheese 

etc. 

We shop at a store in our town that offers amazing deals on food. I used to not like the idea of shopping there, but then didn’t like wasting money on food. It saves us A LOT each month!

Post # 4
13005 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Here’s my typical week, with some meat/veggie substitutions based on what’s on sale that week. 

• Gallon of milk $2.50
  • 2 box cereal $5
  • strawberries $2.5
  • blueberries $5
  • 2 bell peppers $2
  • 2 zuchinnis $2
  • 3 plum tomatos $2.5
  • pack of mushrooms $2
  • head of brocolli $2
  • head of cabbage $3
  • 2 bags salad mix $5
  • 1 lb ground beef $5
  • 3 lbs chicken breast $6
  • 2 lb sirlion $10
  • loaf of bread $2.5
  • bagels $4
  • cream cheese $2.5
  • eggs $2
Post # 5
Hostess
15072 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

I don’t shop on a weekly budget but I tend to stock up on things as I see them on sale. Right now, with the 4th weekend last week, I stocked up on hamburger, steaks, ribs, and a few other meats. My freezer is full. I spent 50ish on just meat, but I saved well over a hundred and it will last three of us well over a month including having people over for BBQ. I still have a few corned beefs in there too from a sale over St Patrick’s day. I also stock up on regular things we use when I see a great sale on them like when tp goes on sale super cheap or the soda dh takes to work every day. I’m no coupon lady by any means and have almost no storage in my house, but stocking up on certain things that we use regularly has save us a ton on our yearly grocery bill. 

Post # 6
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014 - Backyard

Flour, oats and dried beans. You can make so much stuff on your own with those items. 

Post # 7
1649 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2015

We usually budget around 40-50, but $60 would get us

Carton of milk

Cereal

5 Chicken breasts

2 lbs Ground beef

Loaf of bread

Red peppers for guinea pigs

Parsley for guinea pigs

Spinach for guinea pigs

A bag of chips or candy

Cheese

Assorted vegetables (mushrooms, jalapeño, broccoli, etc)

Canned soups for travel/work

Watermelon

Post # 8
231 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

I cook once or twice a week during the week then something nicer on the weekends. Cooking large portions of meals instead of something different each night saves us money. I’ll shop for ingredients for the big meals then just staples forbreakfasts and lunches. 

Here are some things we buy regularly:

Milk

Brown rice (I make this like tabbouleh for lunch)

Frozen fish (love individually wrapped salmon,catfish and tilapia – so cheap and easy)

Chicken thighs (tasty and so cheap)

Ground beef

Fruit 

Cereal

Deli meat and bread

Yogurt

Granola bars

Peanut butter, honey and jam

One of our favorite things to make to eat throughout the week is mini Thanksgiving -a roast turkey breast and a few of ourfavorite sides, usually stuffing, sweet potatoes, and some green veggie, plus a cheap can of cranberry sauce. Yum!

Seriously cooking this way is cheap and saves time if you don’t mind having the same thing a few nights in a row. 

Post # 9
7 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: September 2014

This has been our  budget for over a year now. Sometimes we go under and sometimes we go over if we need to stock up on things all at once (paper towel, dish soap, toilet paper, etc). I don’t go off the same list every week, but I definitely have some tips!

We pretty much only buy frozen chicken breasts, family packs of boneless thighs, and ground beef/turkey. Occaisonally I will buy a roast for like $12 and make it last for every meal that week. (Serve it over mashed potatos, as sliders, on nachos…) I find the frozen chicken is much cheaper than fresh. I also shop at Meijer (midwest) and have found that they carry ground turkey, frozen in the tube. The quality isn’t as wonderful as the fresh stuff, but it is great once in your recipe and you can’t beat the price of $1.50 a pound!!!

We buy a lot of the storebrand frozen “steamable” vegetables. I only buy fresh fruits and veggies when they are in season and on sale. 

We don’t buy many snack foods. We buy 5 meals a week, plus supplies for breakfasts (oatmeal, yogurt, fruit) and lunch (Oscar meyer smoked turkey in the prepackaged section in a yello package, its only 3.50 for a pound and great quality!) off of $60 a week. I don’t coupon. I shop the sales most of the time. I really have just gotten to know what fits into our budget and what brand/type of food will get us there. We don’t ever eat boxed mac and cheese, canned soup, or anything that you commonly see when people are skimping to a budget , so it definitely can be done! Our menu for this week, to give you an idea, was:

Weight Watchers Crockpot Potato Soup

Lazy Sausage Bake

Weight Watchers Crockpot Chicken Taco Chili

Chicken and Veggie Kabobs

Buffalo Chicken Wraps with Veggie

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

Post # 10
1248 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

allyfally:  man, $60 worth of groceries a week would get me jack where I live 🙁 If that was my budget I’d focus on cheaper types of meat like mince (or ground as you call it), chuck steak, chicken thighs etc. Rolled oats, beans, pasta, rice etc. Stuff that you can cook cheap large meals with I guess that have leftovers for lunches. I would not be able to get much fresh fruit and veg in that budget. I could shop at the budget fruit and veg stalls at the markets to get a few things but usually they are budget for a reason and the quality is dire.

Post # 11
2114 posts
Buzzing bee

allyfally:  I get what i can from Dollar Tree and 99 cent store (same brands as grocery store!)

which includes

– boxed rice, pasta. pasta sauce, hamburger helpers, salad dressing packs, bagels, cream cheese, cereal, sodas, juice, water, cookies or chips, lunchables, cheese (sargento), canned food, yogurt or apple sauce. 

thenhit the grocery store for meat. Usually any chicken that is on sale and some hamburger meat. Milk, bread and eggs. We like to get a lot of fruit and a few veggies to have with dinner. 

For just SO and I it is about $50-$60 in groceries each week. 

Post # 12
1335 posts
Bumble bee

I don’t know how you guys survive on just $60 a week for a food budget!  Where I live, we need to budget anywhere from $100-140 a week for groceries (and that’s us being conservative and budget conscious).  For $60, that’s like our budget for eating take-out for 2 meals!

Maybe it’s where we live (or perhaps FI and I just eat a lot!), but the only way we could make $60/week work is if we ate mostly super cheap boxed/processed food (like cheap ramen, $1 pasta, canned food etc.) and frozen steamable veggies, with hardly anything fresh.

Post # 13
1335 posts
Bumble bee

Lollybags:  I agree with you!  I don’t know how the heck people survive on only $60/week.  Definitely not doable in the area I live!

Post # 14
3735 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

We are a family of two and I easily spend over $100 per week. I do not buy soda or junk food. It’s just fresh veggies, fruits, meats and dairy. I couldn’t do $60 per week for both of us. We’d be eating a lot of pasta and not many fresh items.

Post # 15
5228 posts
Bee Keeper

allyfally: These are staples in our house:

Stir fry vegetables, vegetarian chicken nuggets, orange sauce, canola or coconut oil. sparking water. peanut butter, granny smith apples, cottage cheese, grapefruit. 

Leave a comment

Sent weekly. You may unsubscribe at any time.

Find Amazing Vendors